Japanese "goodluck" flag

Inside the red disc, radiating out from the center, are the names of several important shintō shrines 

金比羅神社 Konpira jinja

多賀神社 Taga jinja

南宮神社 Nangū jinja

熱田神社 Atsuta jinja

豊川稲荷大明神 Toyokawa Inari Daimyōjin

On the very top of the flag is a brief narrative of a Japanese platoon's incursion into Xingtang, China. There are some platoon names listed on the flag. I don't see a dedication to a particular person, and I don't see any names. So I don't know that I would call this a good luck flag, but rather its a kind of war diary.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Obviously up to Steve or whoever to answer how they wish but i feel he’s given the general flavor of the content and context. I think most would agree that the  spirit of a free translation section is to keep requests down to a fairly minimal amount of text.  However, I am sympathetic to the desire to have large sections of text translated.  Forgive me for not using  the search function but has it been discussed where on might go to have a lets say a large detailed older origami or an arms length sayagaki?   I believe I’ve heard there are fee-for-service outlets just cant remember if they’ve been discussed.  Again, not wanting to make anyone feel bad but just want make sure that we are not abusing what is a very gracious and much appreciated service offered by a few of our valued members.

Doug

• Like 4

Let me just summarize by saying the writer talks about leaving Shijiazhuang city with 15 vehicles on the 23rd of October, for the purpose of attacking 600 combatants in Xingtang, but when they arrived in Xingtang there were no combatants to be found, so they were able to enter the city unopposed, and the group was subsequently split up. It doesn't say which year. 

I don't mind long sayagaki or hakogaki. They generally follow a similar pattern, and yes they are right in the bullseye of the interest of most forum members. Translation of hand-written militaria can be tough going, and it can quickly start to feel like hard work. 

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..