Chicken Menuki Origami Translation

ckaiserca

Hello group!

If i might beg the indulgence of anyone willing to help me with a translation again... 

I don't have these in my possession yet, but I am working on the translation of the origami for them. This is a set of menuki with a Hozon paper. They are shakudo chicken menuki. There are five characters (marked with ?) that I really don't have a clue about. The rest was sorted our via process of elimination, and trail and error with the kanji pages and Google Translate.  This is what I have so far. Please help me with the missing information and please correct any errors that I may have made.

Many thanks in advance!

* Kanteisho (Certificate of Appraisal)

一鶏図 目貫

*Hitosu (item) – Niwatori (chicken) – Zu (theme) Menuki

無銘 伝乗 赤銅地 ?? ???

*Mumei (unsigned) Denjo (attributed to the Denjo School) Shakudōji (bronze) ?? ???

右は當協會に於て審査の結果保存刀装具と鑑定しこれを証する

* Migi wa Atari kyōkai ni Te shinsa no kekka hozon tôsôgu to kantei shi kore o shōsuru (Examination by this organisation has resulted in the decision that the item to the right is a tosogu that is worthy of preservation (Rank = Hozon))

平成十六年 二月 二十四日

* Heisei Jū-rokû (16) Nen (year) – Ni (2) Gatsu (month) - Ni-jû-yon (24) Nichi (day) (The 16th Year of Heisei, 2nd Month, 24th Day or February 24, 2004)

財團法人 日本美術刀剣保存協會

* Zaidan Hojin Nihon Bijutsu Token Hozon Kyokai (Financial Incorporated Foundation Japanese Art Swords Preservation Association (NBTHK))

F18282paper-1.jpg

1. 容彫 陰陽根  

2. 右は協會に於て審査の結果保存刀装具と鑑定しこれを証する

Migi wa kyōkai ni oite shinsa no kekka hozon tôsôgu to kantei shi kore o shōsuru 

3. 財團法人 日本美術刀剣保存協會

The Society for Preservation of Japanese Art Swords

I wouldn't bother trying to find a word-for-word English translation of 財團法人 日本美術刀剣保存協會. While it is true that 財団法人 is a type of incorporation structure that has some tax and operational advantages, there isn't really an exact counterpart in English, and I think it is fine to simply refer to it as a foundation. However, even the NBTHK doesn't use the word "foundation" on their English website, and they themselves just call themselves "The Society for Preservation of Japanese Art Swords"

If you are interested, I would probably tweak your English wording of the #2 above as well, but you have captured the essence of it. 

4. Oops one more 二十四日 = nijūyokka.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, SteveM said:

1. 容彫 陰陽根  

[snip]

If you are interested, I would probably tweak your English wording of the #2 above as well, but you have captured the essence of it. 

1. Katachibori (engraving) onmyō ne (ying and yang root)? 

Yes please!  I would be very interested in getting an accurate tweak to the wording.

Thanks for your assistance!

陰陽根 = in this case I think it is read as "in'yō kon" and it refers to the pegs on the inside of the menuki. For menuki with in'yō kon, there should be a male peg, and a female peg. 

右は當協會に於て審査の結果保存刀装具と鑑定しこれを証する

Upon examination by this organization, the item mentioned herein has been appraised "tosogu worthy of presentation", which judgment is hereby certified.

Note this isn't the only possible translation. I have kept a bit of the formal legalese of the original document.

The key point is that the paper certifies the results of the judgment. 

In the Japanese original they refer to "the item on the right", which is a linguistic device that doesn't sound too natural to me - so I would claim a bit of translator's license to just refer to the item as "this item" or "the item mentioned herein". (It is obvious which item the certificate is validating). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, SteveM said:

陰陽根 = in this case I think it is read as "in'yō kon" and it refers to the pegs on the inside of the menuki. For menuki with in'yō kon, there should be a male peg, and a female peg. 

Thank you so much! I would never have gotten to this on my own. I simply don't have the knowledge yet. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..