Wakizashi shape question.

I noticed this a bit strange shape of a wakizashi. I was wondering if my eyes are right, it feels that the proportions are a bit of, long kissaki also... 

I feel, I need some more education in this one 😀

https://auctionet.com/sv/1763172-wakizashi-Japan-mei-kanda-ju-kanetsun-shinto-1597-1780-nagasa-38-cm

Screenshot_20210619-141312.jpg

Screenshot_20210619-141301.jpg

Screenshot_20210619-141243.jpg

Björn,

I believe that your eyes are o.k., but the photos should have had a dark background so you would have seen the MUNE of the blade.

The blade's SUGATA is probably a form of SHÔBU-ZUKURI (菖蒲造): Basically a shinogi-zukuri without yokote where the shinogi-ji drops off towards the mune. This rather sharp looking interpretation reminds of an iris (Japanese shôbu) leaf, thus shôbu-zukuri. A shôbu-zukuri is mostly seen on tantô and wakizashi of the Muromachi period and there are two different kinds of shôbu-zukuri:

At one the shinogi meets in moroha-zukuri-manner the very tip of the sword (see picture below) and at the other, the shinogi runs like the ko-shinogi up to the mune, just without a yokote.  (From Markus Sesko)

shobu1

Or it is a normal SHINOGI-ZUKURI where the YOKOTE has been lost . But from the pictures I get the impression that the MUNE is quite narrow.

On the SAYA of this sword, there is a piece (of black horn?) missing on the KOI-GUCHI. Otherwise a nice item, if you have the means to have it polished.

The auction house gave a wrong spelling of the smith's name: It is KANETSUNE.

• Like 1

For what it's worth I think this is actually  shinogi zukuri blade with an o kissaki.  When I enlarge the auction house images I think I can see a yokote.  Have to agree with Jean, this would look really good if in proper polish.

Let us know how this goes, Bjorn.

All the best.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..