Tsuba book i got today as a present

Adamt

Was given a late birthday present today as it took a few weeks to arrive in the post.

it’s a great book with lots of pictures of someone’s actual collection.

Since I’ve only just started looking at tsuba I’m enjoying looking at this collection as it’s more inline with pieces I could afford not high quality museum pieces that I have no idea what I’m looking at anyway.

I might look at getting some more books… any pointers on some good ones for someone starting out in collecting?

Thanks

Adam.image.thumb.jpg.96136ca71bb662f0cab67330684a07d7.jpg

BC3399E5-64B1-4BDC-81DC-7ECBFDAC8B8C.jpeg

• Like 2

Stephen King on Tsuba  ?  The Horror of it all !

Seriously though , most books will help , but , if you want an idea of the state of the market , it would be useful to look at results of recent auctions at some of the international houses.

Sothebys , Bonhams , Christies , Hermann Historica , Zacke etc are worthwhile checking out , also some of the secondary auctioneers like Thomas del Mar or Van Ham.

Look at auctions involving Japanese works of art , but also Antique militaria.

The advantage of looking at the results is that you are seeing actual prices paid , and not a dealer ' flying a kite '. Don't forget to factor in costs of shipping  , import  etc etc.

This is not foolproof by any means  , but should be a starting point.

Best of luck !

Regards

• Like 1

Hi Adam,

A great book for beginners and long-time collectors as well is Tosogu Classroom.  Eventually this will be 5 large volumes (2 are currently available) of articles by Mr. Fukushi that appeared in the Japanese edition of Token Bijutsu over many years, translated to English by Markus Sesko.  Collectively they will present today's understanding of the art and history of sword mounts, and they are very inexpensive (especially if you're a member of JSS/US or NBTHK).

Tsuba Kanshoki, the 1975 edition with English, is well worth the price of admission: hundreds of photos and text that will help you understand the different traditions and schools.  Mr. Sasano's 2 books in English are good for iron sukashi tsuba.  The Art Appreciation of Japanese Sword Fittings, again by Fukushi and if you can find a copy, explains the context (folklore) behind design.  The 10 auction catalogs by Robert Haynes do a much better job of explanation than the usual auction house catalogs.

And there are many other fine books on the subject.  If you click on Fittings Books under Book Categories on my website, you can see most of what's available.

Cheers,  Grey

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Grey Doffin said:

Hi Adam,

A great book for beginners and long-time collectors as well is Tosogu Classroom.  Eventually this will be 5 large volumes (2 are currently available) of articles by Mr. Fukushi that appeared in the Japanese edition of Token Bijutsu over many years, translated to English by Markus Sesko.  Collectively they will present today's understanding of the art and history of sword mounts, and they are very inexpensive (especially if you're a member of JSS/US or NBTHK).

Tsuba Kanshoki, the 1975 edition with English, is well worth the price of admission: hundreds of photos and text that will help you understand the different traditions and schools.  Mr. Sasano's 2 books in English are good for iron sukashi tsuba.  The Art Appreciation of Japanese Sword Fittings, again by Fukushi and if you can find a copy, explains the context (folklore) behind design.  The 10 auction catalogs by Robert Haynes do a much better job of explanation than the usual auction house catalogs.

And there are many other fine books on the subject.  If you click on Fittings Books under Book Categories on my website, you can see most of what's available.

Cheers,  Grey

Grey,

Speaking of Tosogu Classroom, is there any news on the 3rd volume.

Ed

Chiming in. The pic below is actually what is left of pure translation work, and that is for all the remaining volumes. All I need, and it sounds so stupid, is to find a good slot to get through everything with Grey and Barry and then finalize the layout and we are all set. Have planned to forward the next installments to Grey and Barry coming week (just cleared another project last week I was working on for two years).

IMG_0079.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..