Shodai Kawashima Tadayoshi Gendaito Hozon - Kai Gunto for review

m4l700

Hi everyone!

Currently I am in the process of adding this Kai Gunto to the collection, it is reserved for me. But before I bite the bullet, I would like to know what others think about this sword, and/or smith. I understand that his son became a Mukansa smith.

I did notice the following:

- Mei signed:  IZUMO KUNI JU TADAYOSHI SAKU - I understand Neil has one aswell in his collection

- Wrong tassel - Gives me an extra IJA tassel, but will replace with the correct brown IJN tassel :)

- New NBTHK Hozon papers

- White/brown-ish ito wrapping on a kai gunto? I dont see it that often, is this correct and possible? Or might that be because of the flash used on the photograph?

- I also noticed that the birth and death dates are a bit strange of him and his son. Shodai Kawashima Tadayoshi is said to be born in 1929 and died  in 1989, but his son is also born in 1929 and died in august 1989...That doesnt make sense at all, besides that Kawashima started making swords in 1934, when he was 5?... Not sure these dates are trustworthy :)

I think it is a nice package. I've been looking for years for a nice Kai gunto with a Gendaito blade that I can relate to, and can afford ;) This might be my chance :)

Thanks in advance!

2110-1094ha_big.jpg

2110-1094kantei_big.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

Untitled-3.jpg

Untitled-4.jpg

Untitled-5.jpg

tadayoshi5.jpg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, vajo said:

David

born in 1929 and died  in 1989

is not meant the life of the smith. It s the period they work. In this case the Showa Period.

Aah, so my interpretation was wrong regarding the dates. Thank you for notifying.

19 minutes ago, IJASWORDS said:

David, I like it, nice polish and papered. Of course depends on price. 

Thanks, good to hear! It is 3300 usd, or 2700 euro(including shipping). Which is reasonably for this sword I think, and within my range.

Is there any more information about this smith? Oshigata? I cant seem to find much.

Hi David,

This is certainly a good buy as kawashima tadayoshi (both shodai and nidai) are excellent smiths.

Attach pictures of my katana made by shodai tadayoshi, his picture ( person in the middle) and oshigata for your reference.

regards

Ronnie FECEA83C-9834-430F-8484-E0FE27DC4043.thumb.jpeg.b89aa6e4f1f1c3f31ef37c6ff2528e60.jpegB7188507-0848-4245-B3E8-DDA6305C3873.thumb.jpeg.758e07be58f2bdfd87164a7dc863d812.jpeg5EFDC945-DA9A-429A-A93C-F9FA12A631E4.thumb.jpeg.5f799949c9fcf3272e0f775270a6ce7f.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@Ronnie, wow thank you very much!! Amazing what we all together can produce here on nmb.

5 hours ago, Bruce Pennington said:

David, that's quite a beautiful kaigunto!  Equal to those you see on Ohmura's site, and he's got some real beauties!

I have to say I've never seen a tsuba with holes punched like this one.  Quite unique.

Thank you Bruce! I was wondering about that as well. What would be the advantage of that...weight savings?:laughing:

I have bought the sword and added it to the collection. Cant  wait to see it in person. I will update the thread with additional pictures once I've received it.:)

4 hours ago, m4l700 said:

the advantage of that

Well, since I've never seen it before, I don't have any reference to even imagine a reason.  At first, I wondered if it was intended to be a flower shape, but the primary flowers for the Japanese were the cherry blossom, 5 petals, and the chrysanthemum, what, 16 or 32 petals?  But it is obviously not just random holes.  Your idea may have merit, though, as even the bohi, I am told, is actually there as a weight reducer.  But even in it's functionality, the smiths turn it into part of the art and beauty. 

I haven't done any checking on this idea, but what if it was the essence of a kamon?  Who knows, but quite unique.

1 hour ago, Bruce Pennington said:

Well, since I've never seen it before, I don't have any reference to even imagine a reason.  At first, I wondered if it was intended to be a flower shape, but the primary flowers for the Japanese were the cherry blossom, 5 petals, and the chrysanthemum, what, 16 or 32 petals?  But it is obviously not just random holes.  Your idea may have merit, though, as even the bohi, I am told, is actually there as a weight reducer.  But even in it's functionality, the smiths turn it into part of the art and beauty. 

I haven't done any checking on this idea, but what if it was the essence of a kamon?  Who knows, but quite unique.

Interesting idea Bruce! I did some quick research and found some interesting mon's that might be something, like this example below. But it isn't quite right.

image.png.ca34d0104dac350d7cfd4393389f17db.png

Edit: This one seems to fit with the exact number of holes and in the same position:

image.png.efc4754498e7d890b22778d20c9caee7.png

image.thumb.png.20fbcc58ef6267013597069a49ba166e.png

Apparently there is a Navy connection with this mon. The Kuki family served(in the navy) under Oda Nobunaga and later Hideyoshi(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuki_Yoshitaka).  I find it interesting to put 1 and 1 together but that would be too easy lol! Even someone from that family was named 'Kuki Tadayoshi'. But who knows:)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Bruce and David (congratulations, nice package!)

I have a similar 'mon' on the habaki of a mumei Wak... possibly Muromachi.  I think I can say with some confidence that, in my case, its not their to make the habaki lighter 😁.

But seriously, I have done a little reseach and have arrived at mine possibly being Hisamatsu although there are many similar mons the tricky thing is they have varying sized centre holes.  Some same as external holes and some much smaller. 

I dont want to hijack the separate Mon thread but I did notice some similarities with yours when I saw it.

Rob

20201201_191310.jpg

Screenshot_2020-12-28-16-20-58.png

• Thanks 2

@Rob, Thank you for sharing!

It seems we might be onto something with it being possibly a mon. But on the other hand, who knows, because why would you place it somewhere where it isn't directly visible? hmm :)

• 1 month later...

I have received the sword and I must say I absolutely enjoy it. Just wow, really interesting and pleasing to my eye.

I also did some research on that mon with the aid of a book that I have and I did found this design in there.

image.thumb.png.7cc0edeecf85a62546e5f91869edf96b.png

Made some quick snapshots with my phone, enjoy(see posts below) :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Leen said:

Gaaf David, enjoy!!!

Thanks Leen! I certainly will :)

38 minutes ago, Bruce Pennington said:

David, glad to see it's arrived!  Quite a beauty.  I just noticed the Army company-grade tassel.  Odd to be on a kaigunto.  Maybe added by the G.I. who brought it home, or a post-war owner?

Thank you Bruce! Yes this is indeed the wrong tassel, the sword came straight from Japan so I suspect that a post-war owner attached the wrong tassel.

I might try to find a naval tassel and use this IJA tassel on one of my shingunto's :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..