Kotetsu VS Aizu Kotetsu

12 hours ago, Darkcon said:

Like a master and a pupil similar ?? :)

I have an aizu nagamichi but mine has a some spectacular inazuma all over. It is hard to tell in your photos. Beautiful nonetheless 

John 

Nagamichi have some different style. Anyway I show whole photo for you .

and I also up some Video for this Nagamichi, just for clear to see

nagamichi.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

22 minutes ago, Jacques D. said:

There is a resemblance in the design and the width of the hamon but we can't talk about similarity in terms of quality, Kotetsu being far superior to Nagamichi.

ps does this kotetsu have papers ?

Hi Jacques, yes, Tokubetsu Hozon Paper.

Anyway, In a smith whole life, then will make alot katana, and There are differences in quality and style.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Mitsukawa said:

Hi Jacques, yes, Tokubetsu Hozon Paper.

Anyway, In a smith whole life, then will make alot katana, and There are differences in quality and style.

Yes, but we must judge the difference of level over the whole career. Nagamichi is known to make a hamon (sori too) in the same style as Kotetsu but the resemblance ends there. As for the nickname, it doesn't mean much in reality.

12 minutes ago, Jacques D. said:

Yes, but we must judge the difference of level over the whole career. Nagamichi is known to make a hamon (sori too) in the same style as Kotetsu but the resemblance ends there. As for the nickname, it doesn't mean much in reality.

Sure, Just like Kiyomaro, We call him Yotsuya Masamune. when you see a real Masamune, you will know is different. Nickname, just for funny and praise. it doesn't mean same.

52 minutes ago, DoTanuki yokai said:

I can understand that it is believed that nagamichi studied with kotetsu seeing this blades next to each other. 

But is there any historical  evidence except of their workmanship for knowing each other ? 

Kotetsu maybe born in A.D 1605 , and A.D 1678 passed away. At the age of 50 star to make katana(1655).

Nagamichi born in A.D 1633, and A.D 1685 passed away.At the age of 26 used signature is "Mutsu Daijyo Miyoshi Nagamichi"

And Nagamichi also have other nickname "AIZU MASAMUNE".

So,maybe just same style to make sword. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DoTanuki yokai said:

I can understand that it is believed that nagamichi studied with kotetsu seeing this blades next to each other. 

But is there any historical  evidence except of their workmanship for knowing each other ? 

Nagamichi never studied with Kotetsu, he was an apprentice of his uncle Nagatoshi. :)

• Like 1

For once we have a picture allowing it, it is interesting to look at the hada. They are 2 ko-itame and yet they are quite different from each other, the one of Kotetsu is more dense and stronger than the one of Nagamichi. 

It will be worth to note that Nagamichi's hamon looks like Kotetsu's but during his hanetora period; the sword showed here is one of the hakotora time so there is not that similarities.  i should have been more precise in my first comment. :(

hada.jpg

• Like 4

Both fine shinto blade. 

I honestly do not see much of a difference. Then again, I neither studied nor understood Kotetsu. The ones I've handled haven't left a mark - and when I raised the point I was told "yes, but you haven't cut with it"

19 hours ago, Toryu2020 said:

Based on that one photo I would say yes - you really need to see many examples of Kotetsu and then the differences with all pretenders will be obvious...

I've inspected in hand two. I did not see at least visually where the fame comes from. Kotetsu flies over my head in terms of appreciation capacity. 

I keep thinking it's like Kiyomaro. Quite a few of them are drunk Kiyomaro forged with sake, and a few pieces really do stand out as masterworks and made his reputation. 

Well, the reality is that when Kotetsu is compared to the really old grandmasters, which Chris and I are partial to, he fades. However, on his own, the hada and execution are very competent and tight and well forged; usually with a well defined and nice gunome or midare notare hamon. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..