Late model War Mounts 1944 Date

What I found interesting with these late model swords as the mounts aren’t as nice as earlier type 98 but the blade was a star stamped higher quality and was it proof tamahagane used?  

Also from what I got from  this thread that this model was more rare or not common as shown without a sarute hole so how many different ones were there?  According to star stamped they were gentai but it dosnt guarantee satisfactory quality!

Rikugun and Kaigun Jumei Tosho List

star.jpg 
Y : Yasukuni Tosho 
M : Minatogawa Tosho

Rikugun Jumei Tosho were certified swordsmiths from Army headquarter of Japan at wartime. Their names appear in "Rikugun Jumei Tosho Meibo (1933)" and belived to produce blades for ranked officers. Besides Yasukuni tosho and Minatogawa tosho, these smiths produced Gendaito, which should be discerned from Showato, and star stamp was marked when passed by Rikugun Shinsa. However, it should be noted that star stamp does not guarantee the satisfactory quality of the blade and still sometimes controversial for issuing papers in Japan.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For got to mention about this smith He’s listed 5 the  seat in the John slough book If he was 1st 2nd 3rd it would be more appealing but I already have a sword that’s 5 th seat but not star stamped All that really means is it’s a gendita according to the book 

I think he means judging a blade based off of what seat he obtained. Which is a rather useless way of judging a smiths work. You should judge each blades individual merit, someone who got 5th seat might have produced some blades that would have been beat 1st seat in their lifetime.

While references like Slough are nice for getting an idea of what smiths were capable but they only speak of the majority of their blades and not all of them. Maybe they did a special order that was spectacular, would you avoid it just because he was rated low in slough? I would hope not.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

Sorry been, still, dealing with tooth pain.

Marco has it covered.

You should make shows or find a mentor.

I met a sword vendor at a Gun Show in the Phoenix, Arizona area this summer. His name is "Walter" and he had a nice display of Gunto and Nihonto. Told me he's been in this Nihonto collecting world for over 30 years and the guy was very knowledgeable. Gave me his contact info (he's local). He said he'll be at the San Francisco show next month. I plan to contact him - perhaps he can be a mentor. At the least, I'll be buying a piece from him, as he had a quality selection with good prices.

On 7/10/2021 at 5:24 AM, Bruce Pennington said:

@Stephen is that from the blade in the ebay sale?

Bruce, it is that blade. A few weeks ago, I had assumed that it sold, but it had not. It's still posted, albeit with a lower price, as mentioned. An interesting piece, indeed!

I always thought traditional made was handmade or water quench but the star stamped added tamahagane however when I read John slough book it said  it only signified traditional made 

I did not know they went together  I know this sword was already mentioned in the thread But Thanks for helping to clear this up 

Steve 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..