Junker blade

Kaz S

Looking for a junky blade in almost any condition, except fully rusted out. 

It can be snapped in half, cracked, scratched, without any mounts, poorly polished, anything!

Let me know what you've got!

I'm afraid no one is likely to sell you a blade, no matter how irretrievable, for this purpose. As someone mentioned earlier, you can do this on carbon steel and get the same result. The only different between the two is the relative hardnesses contained within the steel of nihonto. Regardless, cosmoline was NOT made with nihonto in mind. Speaking from experience, the stuff DOES stain carbon steel and mild steel (I have a M44 Mosin with cosmoline staining). If you want good preservatives, the good old standard of choji oil and a gentle touch is best.

That and I have encountered the odd gendaito or two on eBay with what is clearly cosmoline/staining from cosmoline on the blade; it does not end well.

15 minutes ago, ChrisW said:

I'm afraid no one is likely to sell you a blade, no matter how irretrievable, for this purpose. As someone mentioned earlier, you can do this on carbon steel and get the same result. The only different between the two is the relative hardnesses contained within the steel of nihonto. Regardless, cosmoline was NOT made with nihonto in mind. Speaking from experience, the stuff DOES stain carbon steel and mild steel (I have a M44 Mosin with cosmoline staining). If you want good preservatives, the good old standard of choji oil and a gentle touch is best.

That and I have encountered the odd gendaito or two on eBay with what is clearly cosmoline/staining from cosmoline on the blade; it does not end well.

I'm sure that carbon steel will yield a similar result but I'll never be 100% sure. I've already ordered 10 rods that will be guinea pigs for a number of experiments, including the cosmoline test.

I believe all of you when you say not to use it. I want to see the effect in action first hand at this point.

1388186044_Screenshot_20210603-1115462.thumb.png.79f6c03f2b1d0a6d0aadccb57111c94d.png

Archived