Another new acquisition sorta kantei thread

Jwrussell

So, for those who enjoyed my previous thread, here's another. For those who didn't, well...sorry! :rofl:

I purchased both blades from AOI. This second is a Hozon papered, (i believe) ubu, signed Wakizashi in Shirasaya with silver habaki(no mounts this time). There are Sanskrit Bonji on both side (any help in confirming translation appreciated). I believe the smaller one may be Kwojin or Kongoyasha Myo? The larger one I am thinking is Fudo Myo? 

Nagasa: Just shy of 54cm

Sori: 1.3cm

Weight: 580 grams

Hada: Mixed Itame and Mokume

Hamon: Gunome Midare

Pictures to follow. As before, all opinions and thoughts welcome.

Ok, ya’ll have me a little self conscious here. No comments at all? 

Here’s the signature and the paperwork. 

Hozon

Edo Period (mid-1600’s)

Mutsu Province

Sendai Kunikane School (or Kinmichi school...see below)

Oushu Ju I(y)esada

Now, a question. The information from AOI would suggest this was first generation. However, the signature does not include “Sendai” which appears to be a hallmark of the first gen I(y)esada (based on info from Nihontoclub). 

Apparently if this was the first gen Iesada he was a Student of Kunikane and part of that school, but if second gen he was (also?) a student of Nidai Kinmichi. (Side note, what does Nidai mean?)

Does the paperwork state which generation it is in some way?

thanks for reading and any help appreciated. 

ECFBA41B-ABB8-468B-B7FF-F6F3DDE30535.jpeg

2E3FB538-8813-4478-BA8D-7CD3312C8C87.jpeg

Apparently if this was the first gen Iesada he was a Student of Kunikane and part of that school, but if second gen he was (also?) a student of Nidai Kinmichi. (Side note, what does Nidai mean?)

Does the paperwork state which generation it is in some way?

Apparently it is the first generation, as, according the Nihonto meikan, the nidai didn't use "Oshu or Oshu Sendai" in his mei.

Nidai means second generation but, still according the same book the second Iesada was a student of the sandai (third) Kinmichi. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I come to this conversation late and I enter with only a bit of research. There were 4 generations of Iesada smiths, The first started with  Tashiro Nagatoshi. The SECOND went on to work with Kunikane 1 but also worked with Tomosuke by the Kanei period (the 1620/30s. The third generation worked with KInmichi. And there was a 4th. I don't see a lot of classically Kunikane stuff in their swords, but the second generation - "Nidai" - liked to do horimono. I don't see mention of generation on the papers. And they didn't apparently mention Sendai in their signatures just "Oshu" (Texas, not Dallas)

Peter

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..