Kanekage Wakizashi Comparison

Mark S.

At the recent Chicago show, I picked up a very inexpensive mumei wakizashi.  It has been sent for a polish.  While waiting, I figured I would entertain myself and try to do a little research.  When I started looking at Mino blades, I came across a blade at AOI Art that is attributed to Kanekage.  I know there were MANY Mino smiths, so picking one is probably just a guess, but I thought the exercise was fun.  I’ll be interested to see how it matches up after polish.  And yes, I already know Mino are not high on everyone’s list and that some may not think it worth the money.  Can we just agree to that up front and not have that argument?  

I’ll start with pics of my out of polish blade.  I forgot to take overall shape picture.  Shape is very close to AOI example.

E9BE3E9A-A3F8-4228-A63A-BA2A38DABD73.jpeg

088A3BFF-2FC0-41DB-BCF0-C3176ECC708A.jpeg

E1DAC5AD-4FEE-4B20-9F54-50B214A2D9A7.jpeg

7FD61827-C82E-4749-ACAB-A66908FBFA57.jpeg

40 minutes ago, Jwrussell said:

Very interesting. I see where you are coming from with the similarities. Will be interesting to see how it comes out. Are you planning on sending your soon-to-be-polished blade for Shinsa?

Yes... next year’s NTHK-NPO Shinsa in Chicago.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Jacques D. said:

otherwise it is only pure speculation.

So from my first post where I said: 

. “I know there were MANY Mino smiths, so picking one is probably just a guess, but Ithought the exercise was fun.”

Did you miss that on purpose?  Of course it’s just speculation.  As has been said before... could you give it a rest FFS.  

5 hours ago, roger dundas said:

Mark, I am a nobody here but I want to say you need to not allow yourself to get riled up about responses you don't like.

Just sift them out and learn from them all.

Roger j

I appreciate that Roger (and no... you are not a nobody... no one is a nobody, that’s ridiculous)... and normally I would gratefully accept advice and I’m not normally ‘riled’.  It’s just that our ‘friend’ has been doing this a bit lately and my patience (as well as others I think) is a bit limited with it.  I almost expected his response and in the manner it was given.  He enjoys it.  In fact, a couple comments in my first post were tailored for this individual knowing what would happen.  I was right.  I won’t waste any more time with him.  

And I do apologize for coming across as angry or argumentative.

But I still appreciate anyone who wants to look, have a bit of fun, and SPECULATE.

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Mark S. said:

So from my first post where I said: 

. “I know there were MANY Mino smiths, so picking one is probably just a guess, but Ithought the exercise was fun.”

Did you miss that on purpose?  Of course it’s just speculation.  As has been said before... could you give it a rest FFS.  

Oh, my apologies, I should have said that this kind of exercise is irrelevant because it does not provide anything concrete and it is not the right way to learn.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..