Submitting blade to NBTHK

Anybody can receive sword via mail in Japan, and then register and submit it.

In about two months after submission deadline I think you'll get the blade back with a judgement slip telling you what you got.

In about four months you'll get papers in the mail.

Juyo session I think starts like November.

NTHK NPO does shinsa every month, gives you the sheet the same day with your sword and mails out the papers strictly within one month.

• Like 1

As to the reputation and validity of the various papers, they are somewhat like WURS vaccines, none of them 100% proof, better than nothing generally, but each of varying efficacy. 

Do you Pfizer, or Johnson + Johnson, or AZ, or Moderna, or Sinovac, or do you swallow Vitamin D, chlorine, etc.?

prefer not to believe that certain names or scholars get higher privilege in judgement than unknown collectors as myself but something to think about.. and last - the majority of what I have acquired hasn't seen daylight/spotlight So no matter what it is I know 3 are guaranteed Juyo, if not now then whenever they get IN the spotlight. Most likely I'll do it on my own

Well yes, experts at the NBTHK, and lifelong scholars such as Tanobe-Sensei do have a stronger word in establishing which blades are masterworks and which ones aren't. 

Your level of confidence is amazingly high. 3 guaranteed Juyo is something exceptional. You're setting yourself up for dissapointment, and I strongly encourage you to post quality photos on the board so that you might have a second opinion to back-up your confidence. There are some knowledgeable members here with experience submitting to Juyo and Tokubetsu Juyo Shinsa, with varying degrees of success. 

Shipping, handling and failure fee will cost you about 1000$. Success is an added fee accompanied by a lock-up period. It's not cheap. Good luck on your journey. 

• Like 2

I appreciate everyone's help and input. I have strong feelings about shodai tadayoshi (nbthk th already). The shizu blades will bring 'th' in a heartbeat. Wasting 2k for denial of the juyo token is worth the try. I also have a real daisho that has 'th' already for both blades.I have had awful time taking photos so I'll just take the chance...

Who knows I may be pleasantly surprised or utterly disappointed lol

It'd be way cheaper and easier to go to SF NTHK and get their estimate but many don't trust them so it is a strange place to be, that's for sure.

I have an old Uda tachi that had 'th' issued from first try so I just can't stop there.. that's like over a dozen 'th' sitting and waiting...

Thank you all

John

3 hours ago, Darkcon said:

It'd be way cheaper and easier to go to SF NTHK and get their estimate but many don't trust them so it is a strange place to be, that's for sure.

John

Why would many not trust the shinsa team coming to SF to do the shinsa? I am going and have not heard anyone say the NTHK  wasnt to be trusted.  You dont trust them with your blades? Or you dont trust them to give a good evaluation of your blades?  Not following what is to mistrust.

Chris

53 minutes ago, chrstphr said:

Why would many not trust the shinsa team coming to SF to do the shinsa? I am going and have not heard anyone say the NTHK  wasnt to be trusted.  You dont trust them with your blades? Or you dont trust them to give a good evaluation of your blades?  Not following what is to mistrust.

Chris

Not me. It is what I have read on the forum. It may be just someone's personal dissatisfaction. It'd be best start as they score the blade so that may be a good signal whether I should pursue further or just settle and sell at current level. 

John 

We all want to submit one and have it pass. 
but it is hard. 
I have one , same era similar school 

utterly flawless and in fantastic condition. I’m told by three people I trust it probably won’t pass. I’m sending it to see. We’ll see. 
it’s Tokubetsu Hozon now - this year. Given directly to a very good smith. (Rare for this particular school) 
even if it fails, it’s still 

especially worthy of preservation 

mans a fantastic sword. 
also it’s 27.5 inches. 
osuriage but still long 

8 hours ago, Darkcon said:

Not me. It is what I have read on the forum. It may be just someone's personal dissatisfaction. It'd be best start as they score the blade so that may be a good signal whether I should pursue further or just settle and sell at current level. 

John 

I would have thought that the SF shinsa would be the ideal place to get your bunch of Yoshimichi blades evaluated. You can then select the one(s) that you might send to Japan for NBTHK shinsa and higher papers should you wish to. That might apply to any of your blades if you're nervous about putting them in the post - you could take them down there yourself.

I think that NBTHK papers are the gold standard for medium to high end blades but the value of the papers needs to be assessed in the context of the blade. Hozon papers attributing mumei swords to low ranked schools don't do much other than confirm that it is a real Japanese sword. Most people who have been around the hobby for a year or two could draw the same conclusion even if they couldn't pin the school down. NTHK papers are more useful at this level in that more information is given but this has been talked to death - Darcy Brockbank's blog on the subject of ladder theory has some interesting points to make on it.

You might want to discuss your shodai tadayoshi (or indeed any other Hizento you have) with Roger Robertshaw to get a feel as to whether it will go further: http://www.hizento.com/

Shodai Tadayoshi, these are commodities in Japan. The smith was one of the most prolific of all times, and only the cream of the crop of his work will pass Juyo - typically special orders by the clan who employed him. You can recognise those special order blades as signed without his official title. And even for these, they'll need to be unaltered and pristine, showing his best effort. 

Here is one for example: https://yuhindo.com/hizen-tadayoshi/

Now these are rare. 

So I don't want to be all doom and gloom, but your best bet is to take an iphone, dark room, and beam a light on the sword to get decent photos. Gather feedback, and then decide. 

9 hours ago, Valric said:

Shodai Tadayoshi, these are commodities in Japan. The smith was one of the most prolific of all times, and only the cream of the crop of his work will pass Juyo - typically special orders by the clan who employed him. You can recognise those special order blades as signed without his official title. And even for these, they'll need to be unaltered and pristine, showing his best effort. 

Here is one for example: https://yuhindo.com/hizen-tadayoshi/

Now these are rare. 

So I don't want to be all doom and gloom, but your best bet is to take an iphone, dark room, and beam a light on the sword to get decent photos. Gather feedback, and then decide. 

Well mine was made for the Daimyo of the Nabeshima Clan by custom order. It is definitely a Juyo. If this doesn't pass JT I don't know what would. And yes, it is mint and exceptional and that's why I don't sweat this one at all. I know what it is and there's a ton of paperwork that comes with it. 

I tried with photos and I gave up so off they go to NTHK in August and if they suggest then off to Japan. Meanwhile I have about 20 that I have to sell as I have no more room anywhere..

John

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..