Now thats deep Sori

To Be honest Alex I find this a very unattractive piece. It just loos wrong. Perhaps those more used to using swords can tell us if there is any practical application or benefit to having a blade with such an exaggerated sori because I cannot think of one and would guess this is very unwieldy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The greater curve just cuts in the slash better. As to the amount of curve, personal preference may come into play as well. Some European cavalry sabers are really curved the infantry sabers not as are some middle Eastern swords like the shamshir really curved while the yataghan is not. These are adapted for use, ahorse or afoot. John

• Like 1

G'day Guys,

Plenty of swords from other cultures have at least this much curve. You can find examples designed for both mounted use and on foot. Personally I like it. Here are a couple of British 1803 pattern infantry officer sabres from about 1810.

Cheers,

Bryce

Osborn and Gunby 1803s.jpg

• Like 3

Nice swords Bryce, on the wish list but never got around to it.

Just reading over the Wak from Aoi again, it says.   "It is not Echizen Hori that is regularly seen so it could be engraved later". Sometimes you see terms on Aoi and other places that maybe you knew about but forgot. They mention "Echizen Sori", not looked into it and cant remember but just wondering if deep sori was a trait that ran for a while. I remember Echizen blades where known for their cutting ability.

Stumbled across this article that was quite interesting regarding the use of Cavalry in Japan.

Did Cavalry Existed in Japan? (gunbai-militaryhistory.blogspot.com)

G'day Guys,

Just to put some perspective on this, the sori of the British 1803 sabres I posted is 9.5 cm on an 81cm blade. This is the first time I have actually measured the curve on a European blade. It isn't something you ever see quoted anywhere.

Cheers,

Bryce

• Like 1

Haha I remember that waki! First thing I did was say DAAAAMN lol Then I showed it to all my family members who all made the same joke...

I have a waki that I 'thought' had a deep sori but after this, I'll never see my waki the same... But it feels so good in the hand (no pun intended). Its such a well forged sword that I can only find one or two minor lines(kitae-ware) that hardly qualify due to the fact that they're almost invisible and less than an inch in size. The Bohi looks like a mirror and feels so smooth when I oil it that I cant believe how a person could make something so precise. Its just an all around thick well balanced sharp as ever waki. With a minor sori compared to big curve up there lol

Dont mind the rubber band on the shirasaya. I had just got the waki a little before this pic was taken and I have since repaired the shirasaya 

Curvtoleft2.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..