Something I Bought

Vermithrax16

I'm guessing Nara San Saku.

Initial reaction was to go with a Hamano student, but there is something maybe earlier about the Pine Needle rendering that feels Shozui or earlier?

That is my best guess in 30 seconds.

So, Big J. -What does the back say?

• Like 1

Good guess Curran! I too was firm on Hamano, but was not quite right.

This kozuka is by Masatatsu (can be read as Masatoki as well). This metalsmith was a student of the great Ishiguro Masatsune. He was given his 'Masa' part of his name from that work in the Ishiguro school. He later (or had earlier, it's not clear) spent time in study and work in the famous Yokoya school. Well, that's an illustrious career! From what few pieces I could find of his, his work varies from Ishiguro like, to many other styles. A versatile artist.
This kozuka depicts the legend of Ataka Barrier in Kaga Province, when Benkei Strikes Yoshitsune. A bit more color here:

Mei pic and others below.Masa_close2.thumb.jpg.58588723662386a626a97883e4cb98a4.jpgMasa_flash4.thumb.jpg.398f3a7f94d556f409d6941ca9ff6fd5.jpgMasa_side2.thumb.jpg.dba2bc5bbfd86de8643a720edca79853.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..