Katana tansu build

The long top drawer is made of solid mahogany with a mahogany veneer base—I built it like I was making a humidor, and with two-way humidity control packs, I hope to be able to keep koshirae at a pretty constant 49% humidity.  

B80EEE0C-6D66-40BC-8E9E-C5F2FFF784E5.jpeg

32B7C4A8-249B-4BF4-A237-CBFD420BDCD5.jpeg

• Like 3

The gunsafe came with a little led light set in the inside of the drawer face, but I removed it and installed different lighting.  I used a diffuser filter and amber light gels to tint the light a nice candlelight color:

0917408B-60E8-4EB0-A538-44253A1BC0A1.jpeg

• Like 2

On the underside of the gunsafe’s lid, right at the mouth of the drawer, there is a 1/4” metal flange set at 90 degrees that I drilled through.  I attached an aluminum led light strip bar (https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/aluminum-channels/micro-alu-led-strip-channel-universal/2039/)by drilling and tapping the bar laterally to accept #4-40 socket head screws.  Three screws hold the whole assembly in place, and I don’t lose any more headspace than the flange was already taking up:

57D01C44-194B-444A-A227-944A71559349.jpeg

1EC91B5D-7AFC-4EC0-B257-09133883958E.jpeg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PNSSHOGUN said:

the joinery is superb

Perhaps until you look behind the curtain—then:  buh buh BUMMM....

Nothing but butt-joints & brackets.

(The brackets have been countersunk with a router so as to avoid tangling up the drawers, but that was my only concession to professionalism.  All you need to build this box is a table saw and a router.  And a drill press helps.)

09DF5ED5-FC0D-4B75-85DB-50558FB936AF.jpeg

30 minutes ago, Shugyosha said:

Great choice of wood which must have been hell to work. 

Not hell at all—I don’t have any veneer bags, or an air pump or anything.  I just cut the veneer, taped it to some MDF and rolled heat-activated veneer glue on both it and the plywood substrate.  After a few hours, a second coat to each.  The glue dries to a firm, plastic-y consistency.  Then you mate the pieces and iron them with a clothes iron.  
https://www.veneersupplies.com/products/Better-Bond-Heat-Lock-Veneer-Glue.html

Cost of entry is so low that if you have any interest at all in veneering, there’s no reason not to get a bottle of heat-activated glue (and a roller, and a veneer saw) and give it a go...

• Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..