Newly Bought Nihonto Opinions from Community

SonoRgoi

Of course a ubu nakago has a higher value, so if its good or bad depends on the money you spend.

I cannot see what you paid but im sure the condition influenced the price.

From an artistic point you lost the start of hamon and maybe funbari but not much else.

The impact on price and suriage is stronger from edo onwards, newer blades should have a better condition.

• 4 weeks later...

John, you did well for your first blade, but it was luck, not knowledge, that got you a quality sword. Before you start looking for your next sword (& none of us buy just one), may I suggest that you spend a few dollars, & buy some books to study? Do a quick search, & you'll find lots of recommendations. This isn't a field of study that you can whiz through, but it's worth the effort to know as much as you can.

Suriage means that the blade has been shortened from its original length, but that's very normal, & doesn't detract. The koshirae & tosogu (everything but the blade itself) have some effect on value, but the blade probably represents 90% of what's paid. The fact that it's papered (Hozon) adds a lot to its value.

A lot of this doesn't mean much to you, yet. But, I consider your blade as a great candidate for you to perform your own kantei (evaluation), John, as it has lots of interesting features & qualities, & is in excellent shape (no rust or other crud to obscure things). I put together a kantei sheet (http://www.militaria.co.za/articles/Kantei_Sheet.pdf) that you may find useful to evaluate your sword. Have fun!

• Like 2

The Japanese write that kantei is the foundation for nihonto appreciation. What is kantei? What does Sato sensei say is the 2nd step (that is too often skipped or sometimes completed overlooked) in kantei? Why is this sword Hozon? Why is this sword only Hozon? Swordsmith ratings? What is the history of nihonto?  

Books; Sato's, Yamanka's Newletter's revised, Markus Sesko's, The Craft of the Japanese Sword , ... , ... 

Some places to begin the journey ... enjoy!

Edited by Franco D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..