Iron tsuba covered in flying cranes. Opinion please?

Ron STL

I've just acquired this interesting iron tsuba which is covered in flying cranes, etc., that are carried over the rim onto the back of the tsuba. I'm puzzled where to place this tsuba (group), so your thoughts are appreciated. The tsuba is slightly oval, measuring 72 mm x 6.7 mm x 5mm. Notice some of the carving carry over onto the seppa dai. Looking forward to your thoughts on this.

Ron STL

Tsuba 1.jpg

Tsuba 2 rim.jpg

Tsuba 3 rim.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Ron,

For something similar , see item 6b on my ' Series of fittings' thread - could be a pattern book design or adaption of.

Seven cranes on the front and four on the reverse on the tsuba I posted.

Sorry , no school suggestions at present.

Regards

Thanks for the excellent examples. They are definitely convincing. Appreciate the direction as where to go on this. Interesting that the cranes are almost identical except more of these cranes have their bills open whereas your example they are closed, more relaxed. This on must be by Mitsumasa or being unsigned, from his stable, I would say. I found the blossom tsuba in Murtha's book but he did not identify a school. Would say again a Bushu group associated with Mitsumasa. Again, my thanks for this excellent help. Now I must read more about this group. 

Ron STL

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..