Family Mon on Gunto

Hi guys!

I saw this sword and immediately a doubt came to me.

It's not the first time I have seen a family mon on a sword, but usually it is on the kabutogane not on the fuchi.

What do you think, is it authentic?

Have you ever seen others like this?

21.jpg

20.jpg

2.jpg

9.jpg

19.jpg

10.jpg

G'day Toni,

Mon on the fuchi are less common, but not uncommon. Here is one of mine.

In your photo it appears that a new mekugi-ana may have been recently drilled in the nakago. If this is the one being used it may indicate that this koshirae has been recently paired with this blade.

Cheers,

Bryce

Tsuka1.jpg

• Like 2

This has been added recently, Mon on the Fuchi are most associated with early Type 94 pattern swords. The other glaring issue is those mounts are late war with no detail and the Fuchi would be covered by a leather retaining strap....

Below are two authentic examples on Type 94's, like the sword Bryce posted.

20210502_135315(1).thumb.jpg.50cf13fe8d10149a21a402fdfd7599d3.jpg

• Like 1

I would opine that the handle is not the original as indicated by the new mekugi ana with counter boring in the nakago.  The fit of the handle on the nakago would be a good test.

Apart from Ian's observation that the mon is upside down I'm troubled by the oxidative colour (= applied heat) around the mon that indicates it has been soldered in place.  Also, the fuchi surface is featureless as John observes and I feel the mon is a recent "modification" to the fuchi.  It is clear the sword originally had a press-stud leather retainer, so the fuchi would have been plain.  Further, the leather cover over the scabbard look near-new compared to the worn, neglected look of the handle as indicated by the sad looking menuki...

An in-hand viewing would be essential before parting with any $$$$

BaZZa.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..