Why blades lose their sharpness

After many years of swinging swords, teaching tameshigiri, I always question why blades don't stay sharp. I ran into a fascinating study that might shine some light on that, https://www.zmescience.com/science/shaving-razors-blade-chips-46373453/

I've always had the impression that more extensive or complete cutting occurred with tangential cuts, but this kind of cutting may play a role of more rapid loss of sharpness.  Thinking about it, perhaps a tangential cut places more stress vectors on the side of the edge that makes an obtuse axis to the object. Fractures probably occur in a laminar fashion, parallel to the edge not supported by the material being cut.

This is what keeps tosho, & razor blade companies in business. Just speculating.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've always been puzzled that something like tempered steel can dull by cutting softer stuff.  That article discussed the study's discovery that cutting the hair created micro chips and cracks, but I didn't see any explanation as to HOW hair (or anything else softer than steel) can bust steel, even at the microscopic level.

Where's our metals guys (@IJASWORDS)

2 hours ago, Bruce Pennington said:

I've always been puzzled that something like tempered steel can dull by cutting softer stuff.  That article discussed the study's discovery that cutting the hair created micro chips and cracks, but I didn't see any explanation as to HOW hair (or anything else softer than steel) can bust steel, even at the microscopic level.

Where's our metals guys (@IJASWORDS)

I shave with a straight razor pretty much daily at the moment. The received wisdom is that cutting a human hair is the equivalent of cutting a copper wire of similar diameter so it distorts the edge over the course of a shave and creates the need to strop the razor ahead of the next shave. Stropping doesn't make the blade sharper but realines the edge (and presumably smoothes out any micro chips) and greatly adds to the comfort of the shave.

Presumably cutting a tatami, particularly with the force created when the blade impacts the target is going to have a similar effect and I suppose this is where "niku" or the profile of the edge can make a difference to its durability and ability to retain sharpness.

Ken, how much cutting does your weapon of choice take before it needs "fettling"?

I studied Ishi Yama Ryu under Russell McCartney years ago and was involved in his Senbongiri event back in 2000. He performed 1181 cuts from kata without a miss over 1 hour 25 minutes. The sword he used was a Nakata Kanehide blade that was remounted and freshly polished. What was interesting was that over the course of the 1181 cuts through damp igusa goza, the friction of the cuts heated the monouchi up and caused the edge to fold over slightly! The fact that it performed so well was amazing. I was deeply impressed with the strength and cutting ability of the blade and after that Kanehide became one of my favorite smiths.

• Like 2

It's just a matter of physics, there is friction and when there is friction, there is always wear whatever the material cut. If you look at a cutting edge under a microscope, you will see that it is not smooth but micro-serrated... these are these teeth that tear off during friction and when the cutting edge is smooth, it is thicker and does not cut anymore.

8 hours ago, celt72 said:

I studied Ishi Yama Ryu under Russell McCartney years ago and was involved in his Senbongiri event back in 2000. He performed 1181 cuts from kata without a miss over 1 hour 25 minutes. The sword he used was a Nakata Kanehide blade that was remounted and freshly polished. What was interesting was that over the course of the 1181 cuts through damp igusa goza, the friction of the cuts heated the monouchi up and caused the edge to fold over slightly! The fact that it performed so well was amazing. I was deeply impressed with the strength and cutting ability of the blade and after that Kanehide became one of my favorite smiths.

Well, ffolkes, I went a-looking and found this:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTkrKjXeHog5CaktlRn8gvw

WoW... 

And the sword smith himself:

https://new.uniquejapan.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/22-ujka163-Kanehide-Katana.pdf

BaZZa.

Edited by Bazza
add information
  • Like 1
  • Wow 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..