Opinion on Masahide tanto mei

Gunome

Unfortunately, it is gimei for me. Please have a look at the shinshinto meikan by Markus Sesko.

The  kanjis are not uniform and the person who carved the mei  did not mastered its tool, some kanjis are deep and other are shallow...

It is of course my personnal opinion

59 minutes ago, SteveM said:

I would like to see a full shot of the year. I'm guessing Bunsei 2 (文政二年), but I can't quite see the whole thing.

This would put the date of the sword's manufacture at 1819. 

Masahide changed his name to Amahide in Bunsei one. 

And yet, we have papered examples of the Masahide mei from Bunsei 3.  

Anyway, I'm just interesting in seeing more of the year, and not very keen on going down into the rabbit hole of authentication. Not yet, anyway. 

masahide bunsei 3.jpg

Thanks for your replies

At first glance, without my books, I thought mei was good. But then after checking, I had a big doubt.

I also thinks it is gimei, but I would like to hear other opinion to be sure. :)

Sorry Steve, I cannot provide a bette photo of the date. This blade is not mine, it was for sale, and unfortunately I don't have any other photos than these ones.

↑ Yes that is what we are talking about. Specifically I was speculating that Masahide may have continued to use "Masahide" even after he began to use Amahide. In other words, I was suggesting that he could have used both signatures for a while, and that (as always) we ought to try judge the sword first and not the signature. 

In my example above, I was attempting to show that there were extant, verified signatures of "Masahide" after Bunsei 2, but Piers was right and the sword I linked to was actually "Amahide". But it didn't take me too long to find another Masahide exampe (this time from Bunsei 5). 

https://toyuukai.com/2012/05/水心子白熊入道正秀(刻印) 文政五年二月日/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SteveM said:

In my example above, I was attempting to show that there were extant, verified signatures of "Masahide" after Bunsei 2, but Piers was right and the sword I linked to was actually "Amahide". But it didn't take me too long to find another Masahide exampe (this time from Bunsei 5). 

https://toyuukai.com/2012/05/水心子白熊入道正秀(刻印) 文政五年二月日/

That Masahide is the 2nd generation, after the 1st gen. changed his signature to Amahide.

• Like 1

OK - try this one. From Markus's site. 

Anyway, now the possibility exists that the sword in the original post could be from either 1st or 2nd generation Masahide. 

I'm not arguing that the possibility of this being shōshin Masahide is high, I'm arguing that the sword ought to be judged rather than the signature. 

masahide 2.jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, SteveM said:

OK - try this one. From Markus's site. 

The date on the tang is 寛政二年 (Kansei 2), that is about 30 years before 文政 (Bunsei).

OK, I'm doing a crappy job of this. Let me try another way:

The blade in the original post could be Kansei, and therefore could plausibly be shōshin Masahide (1st generation).

The blade in the original post could be Bunsei, and therefore could plausibly be shōshin Masahide 2nd. 

I'm not clever enough to proclaim it gimei based on the few photos posted here. It would be best to look at the blade itself rather than the signature. But I suspect Sebastien has already given up on this sword and moved on.  

• Haha 1

I had a masamé boy’s sword signed Amahidé. Lovely koshiraé and total package. No one I showed it to gave me any positive feedback. Eventually I got rid of it.

After that several people asked me what I had done with it, “a lovely object”, “probably shōshin”, etc.

:bang:

:headbang:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..