steel re-enforced gunto tsuka

12 hours ago, PNSSHOGUN said:

Thats neat to see the full sheet, thanks for sharing Dave. I had thought this metal reinforcement was a custom request but seeing it on a Koa Isshin with factory mounts has me puzzled. 

As I understand it,  Koa Isshin were all or mostly, pre ordered from the factory by the officer purchasing one. So just as a British officer ordering from Wilkinson could, would and did have his sword customised within regulatory limits, so could an IJA officer ordering from Mantetsu Co. or their agents.

While I think it's possible SMR had been doing some of their own fittings, a large number of blades were shipped off to Tokyo, "unfinished", to fill Tokyo 1st Arsenal quotas.  In 1943 (the only year we have a chart) they had to send 5,500.  So lots of room for other fitting shops to get involved.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..