Yasuken Swordsmith

Considering that there's over 30,000 signatures in Hawleys, its not inconceivable that many more are yet to be added. We are talking about more than a thousand years of swordsmithing history. I would say its pretty interesting that you have two blades by possibly the same undocumented smith! Share pictures with us, we can probably help you understand them more!

Everything matches, even to the clan/family name they have been ordered by. It is inconceivable that nobody has heard of him. The Yasu makes me wonder... Definitely not Yasukuni ...

Weird

John

The kanji was right, the reading was wrong.

献, and almost every other kanji in the lexicon of several tens of thousands of kanji, has multiple readings.

Ken is the most natural reading for 献, but not the only one. Actually, I think many Japanese people may misread this one. 

This well-known dealer has misread it

https://www.nipponto.co.jp/swords4/NT328989.htm

As has this one

https://www.tsuruginoya.com/items/a00514.html

Thank you

This came up also as translation

'iyo matsuyama ju seiken'

I dislike when they remove the prices although it's their right... how do I price something without a reference 🤔

Last, another nookie question - would a katana and a tanto be called daisho as well?

Thanks

John

If you are talking about the other side, the inscription is 

伊豫松山住靖献造之
祈栄高田本家

Iyo Matsuyama-jū Yasutate tsukuru kore

Kiei Takada Honke 

The translation of that is 

Made by Yasutate of Matsuyama in Iyo Province / With prayers for the prosperity of the Takada family 

The front side is just

靖献作 (Made by Yasutate)

You can find some more information about Yasutate in Markus Sesko's Index of Swordsmiths. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you Steve and John. I appreciate it very much.

No clue what price to put on them as of yet but... hopefully something will give me a direction..

Thank you all once again

John

• Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..