Nakago Stamp

Ed

John, 

That is my thought, perhaps some late, last ditch effort.  It is very crude which is why I wondered if anyone else had ever seen like it or had any concrete information.

Thanks,

Ed

Bruce,

It looks like it. It is not mine so I can't tell you much more than what we see.  My guess is that it is outfitted with a hodgepodge of fittings someone had.  The odd stamp peaked my curiosity.

Best,

Ed

The metal around the edges of the impression is rounded as though it 

were pushed down as in stamping. Maybe press stamping a very hot blade. Just my WAG!

ps. How does it compare to stamps of the Yokosuka navel facilities/shipyard/factories?

Hi Bruce, just the late war Yokosuka Naval Special T99's. I believe they also made various ordnance items, ammunition etc.

Try this link: http://pre98.com/shop/scarce-Japanese-naval-special-type-99-earlyproduction

Hope it works :] it does.

When you get to the Pre98 page look for the following link: "Gone but not forgotten", it is there.

Sorry, for the delayed response, apparently the notification function isn't working.  I have received no notification of any activity and just happened to take a look today.

At any rate let me begin by saying that when starting this thread it was not my intention to impress anyone nor do I feel the need or desire to prove anything to anyone. 

I posted a simple photo to see if anyone had seen such a crudely done stamp.  It appears to be an anchor and it appears as Chuck mentioned previously to have "hot" stamped or pressed into the steel opposed to being cold stamped.

Was it original, was it added later? I do not know, which is why I am asking.

Sesko lists a Hirata Hidemitsu smith: 

HIDEMITSU (秀光), Shōwa (昭和, 1926-1989), Gifu – “Hidemitsu” (秀光), real name Hirata Hideo (平田秀夫), born August 1st 1903, he worked as a guntō smith.

Is this his work, is it gimei. ???  

The sword isn't mine, so whether or not it is shoshin or gimei is of no consequence or concern.

My only interest is the stamp. 

If anyone has or runs across information regarding it, I and perhaps others would be interested to know more.

Thank you,

Ed

Beside the signature rhe whole blade looks crude Ed. Look at the boshi and the wavy shinogi. I dont think it is a late time war sword. For me it was made outside Japan somewhere in the east.

The blade looks a bit sketchy to me as well, but that is based on a few poorly taken photos. I have not seen it in hand, nor will I.  Therefore, I can offer no further insight in regards to the blade itself.

Chuck, I could not open that link, but would like to check it out. Could you send it to me via email?

Thanks to everyone for their comments.

Ed

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..