Signed Geese Kozuka by "Nara Toshimitsu" w/ Kao and box

Yoshimichi

Dear NMB members:

I am offering for sale a great looking "Nara Toshimitsu" kozuka done in various metals, shakudo and nanako. This has a custom fitted box with pillow. I purchased this in 2010 at my first Dai Token Ichi in Japan. Buyer pays shipping and insurance. Payment by Paypal ("Friends and family"). Thanks for looking.

PRICE: $1,000

Toshi1.jpg

Toshi7.jpg

Toshi6.jpg

Toshi8.jpg

Toshi2.jpg

Toshi3.jpg

Toshi4.jpg

Toshi5.jpg

I don't want to drag a conversation in the sales section, but this is basically why we should be more explicit. 

Workmanship and signature aside, bought in Japan with no papers, signed by one of the greatest artists of Tosogu in history...draw your own conclusions. 

Now this needs to be evaluated in this context, and the piece certainly has merit, but it's nothing close to what this artist has been known to produce. 

Dear Valric:

I am not sure if this signature is gimei or shoshin. I purchased it in Japan because of the quality of the workmanship, not the signature. I did show  it to Robert Haynes at the S,F. Token Kai. He seemed impressed with the workmanship, and he noted that it was unusual for this artist to work in the Goto school design.  He never said he thought it was gimei,  but i never really asked him, and I never asked the  person I bought it from at the Dai Token Ichi if the piece had papers, or had ever been shinsaed.  I was probably too excited to just be at my first Dai Token Ichi, and really wasn't  thinking about the signature,  just the workmanship.  I really did not know what the signature said until I showed it to Bob Benson at the S,F  show.  Obviously from your post, "Nara Toshimitsu" was a very famous 'artist. If I do not sell it before then,  I will probably submit it for shinsa at this year's S.F. Token Kai to also get the team's take on the piece. 

Your comments and information is appreciated. 

Regards,

Bill E. Sheehan (Yoshimichi)

Archived