Osaka Shinto Katana with fine Koshirae

Alex A

Just to mention in advance, most of these images are Rays, sure he wont mind me using them. 

Typical Osaka work with tight Ko-itame jihada with dense Ji-nie. Hamon is Suguha with a thick bright habuchi in Ko-nie.  The nagasa is 69cm and measures 3cm at the hamachi and tapers towards the kissaki, reminds me of an old tachi in some ways. Overall, a long sword.

A long mei which reads Awataguchi Sue Mago Settsu No Kami Minamoto Tadayuki. Sue means "final" or "end" and Mago refers to a "grandchild" or "descendent". There is a line of 4 smiths listed on page 218/219 of the Japanese sword index. I can only guess that this would be the 4th and final of the line or maybe one that did not make the books (due to the extra kanji in the mei). Looked into this some time ago and there was not much information about and oshigata is pretty scarce with regards that particular smith. Not being a prominent smith either, i dont see him as a target for gimei. Condition of the nakago is in line with a sword made at that particular time, circa 1740.

Sword is in very condition with no forging flaws, a few light scuffs and marks 

A very good sword with the addition of beautiful koshirae, all of which look have been with the sword for quite a number of years, apart from a kozuka which bought to match, its also a perfect fit. The condition of the koshirae is exquisite and all tosogu are of good quality. Lovely patina to the tsuba, seppa and are all a great fit.

Overall, for anyone wanting a genuine signed "Samurai" Katana in old antique fittings that were not cobbled together last week, then this could be for you.

A change in life circumstances dictates i sell this sword, otherwise i would keep.

Price £3299. ono

Buyer covers any fees, 

Contact me for a shipping quote

If sold here then as always a donation to the board by way of thanks.

For anyone interested, please contact me here or alex.aspinall@sky.com

Happy to take more pictures or if you want i will send you a video via watsapp

Thanks for looking.

tadayuki mei.jpg

ta1.jpg

ta3.jpg

ta6.jpg

ta7.jpg

ta8.jpg

ta9.jpg

ta10.jpg

ta11.jpg

ta13.jpg

ta15.jpg

2198BE9D-C301-4839-AF49-F19CFCF203A2.jpeg

Alex, so sad you have to part with this one...:(

For any potential buyers, I own an Osaka Settsu blade from the 1650s and it looks very much like this one. It’s one of my favorite blades. Awesome ji Hada and almost perfect Suguha Hamon. Osaka Shinto blades are beautiful and anyone should be happy with Alex’s.

Thanks JP, appreciate your kind comments.

We know what is written about Suguha and why it was a trait of certain schools like Tadayoshi etc.

Kind of think this sword would have been good for a duel or two, especially with length added with a longer nakago/tsuka.

Cheers.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Greg.

The tsuba is very nice and a lot of people have remarked on it. Some have assumed (from images) that it is iron with a copper fukurin but it is actually solid copper, there is a very fine pattern punched into it that gives it a totally different appearance. Lovely patina to it too!

Like most people, often looked back at stuff i have sold or had to sell and wished i still had it and im sure this will be one of them, sadly.

Sometimes you just come across stuff you really like and at the right price, this fit the bill.

Workwise, been sat here on furlough since last March and that stops in September (up until now), hence this sale. Would love to buy this back, as well as other stuff like the Sadayoshi;-), but we will see what life dictates.

All part a collectors journey, folk have been through much tougher times.

Thangs Greg, appreciated.

Congrats on the sale Alex. Its a nice package.

I know times are tough for some of us mate. I wasnt alowed to work for around 6 months last year and just coming out of another lockdown now while having a baby boy a few months old. 

The one positive is ive had more family time and as you know bonsai time haha.

I hope both swords find their way back to you eventually mate.

Archived