Ebay NTHK Akihiro Katana for $9700 USD?

Opposed to the majority's opinion, I think there are fantastic blades available either on ebay or even from personal sellers. What SUCKS is that people want mint, papered Yada Yada blade for wholesale or ridiculously low price. That doesn't make any logical sense. Why would they rate a swordsmith in gold or yen if their work goes for chump change???

Long subject I guess...

John

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Rivkin said:

Its signed Akihiro but not papered to him.

Nevertheless this is really rare to see katana in hitatsura, even though its Muromachi period. For someone interested in the style this can be quite a find.

Many thanks for your very educating reply.  If i may ask for my learning...the part in the kanteisho that says 相州鎌倉  秋広...THAT is the giveaway that it's not papered to him isn't it?  If so, what should it say instead?  (not questioning your knowledge at all, just want to learn how to read kanteisho's...i couldn't make useful the website that breaks them down to their components).  Or simply, in a as non-challenging way is possible, may I ask you, how is one supposed to know in this situation.  Many thanks.

(also, how can it be during 鎌倉/kamakura? Akihiro worked in Nambokucho, right?)

• Like 1

I am probably the last person to ask about Japanese kanji, but I would start with the era attribution - 康正

The rest is to an extent immaterial, since Soshu makers of the time are not that well known. There are books and judges who believe in Muromachi generations of Akihiro and those who don't. If you resubmit chances are you get Masahiro or Hiromasa, maybe even first generation Shimada (again some don't believe he was that early, so its judge dependent).

It will remain a rare Soshu hitatsura katana from Muromachi period, and likely preceding Tsunahiro's time. Its a good piece.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Rivkin said:

I am probably the last person to ask about Japanese kanji, but I would start with the era attribution - 康正

The rest is to an extent immaterial, since Soshu makers of the time are not that well known. There are books and judges who believe in Muromachi generations of Akihiro and those who don't. If you resubmit chances are you get Masahiro or Hiromasa, maybe even first generation Shimada (again some don't believe he was that early, so its judge dependent).

It will remain a rare Soshu hitatsura katana from Muromachi period, and likely preceding Tsunahiro's time. Its a good piece.

Oh duh, the era.  Many thanks again.

Surprisingly cool for something on Ebay. 

While unsigned soshu work from the Muromachi period aren't highly regarded (and discounted heavily) - the fact that it is a katana-size Naginata Naoshi in full Hitatsura makes this a rarity. But I do have a bad feeling about it. 

The Koshirae makes me pause. That's the Ageho-cho from the Taira clan, first time I've seen it on a Koshirae, and it's clearly not an old koshirae. I would ask the seller to inspect the Menuki, they do look like they could be solid gold dragons, or some cheap cast plated dragons and this whole set the fruit of an elaborate dress-up party we see so often on YJP! - so buyer's beware. Something doesn't feel right here. This is likely a hobbyist koshirae project from the 20th century, but who knows...just be careful out there, this is a Japanese dealer, and problem-blades are sold on the foreign market for a reason. Treat it as a grenade with the pin removed. 

The seller has information asymmetry on his side and close geographic and cultural contact with the world's best experts. We do not. 

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..