No idea about the sword I have

Thanks guys... great help so far 👍 

I’m only just learning all this so any help about this sword is fantastic. I was wondering whether it was worth spending the money on getting it to its true form. There are a couple of parts missing for the handle and the scabbard needs some restoration.... 🤔

If you're patient, you can track down the missing parts. But do not worry about having the blade polished, being a non-traditionally made blade means that there's little point in having it looked at for that. But finding the missing parts and completing it will make it more enjoyable to look at!

• Like 1

Being made by Yoshitsugu does not necessarily mean its showato, however the Seki stamp most certainly does mean it is showato. Gendaito either have a star stamp or lack any sort of stamp; however that is not indicative 100% of being gendaito either. Wartime swords are fairly tricky in telling what they are, but trust in that it being a Seki stamp makes it non-traditional. There are at least two smiths that signed that name during that period; which I am not sure though. Both were lower-ranked so likely only made showato.

• Like 2

Just one more question guys as you all seem to know a hell of a lot about these swords. I’d like to know what I need to complete it as I can see there must be a couple of items missing. I would think it needs another seppa (I think you call it) and something seems to go on the end of the scabbard. Is this correct? What do I need and what are they called? 
thank you

Dave

C50C8494-811D-42E1-8545-050570AB4934.jpeg

Being that seppa are usually matched pairs opposite to each other on the tsuba, you are missing at least one brass seppa and one boar's eye seppa. However, the real answer is you're missing however many it takes to make the blade a tight fit in the tsuka. The number it needs can change over the years due to wood shrinkage. So if its tight right now and there's no wiggle, then you're good to go! Looks like you might also need a new mekugi peg as well. You can take a chopstick and whittle it to size for that purpose (they were made of bamboo typically anyways). And yes, if you're missing an kojiri to the saya, that'd be the end cap; which on a leather-cased gunto saya would have also been covered with a nicely-stitched leather cap as well. I wouldn't worry too much about replacing the leather as these things fall apart anyways, just gently condition the leather with some PURE petroleum-based jelly, avoid any that has water in it as that can rust the blade.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here is a great reference page for the names of your gunto parts: http://japaneseswordindex.com/glossary.htm

as is this one: http://ohmura-study.net/903.html

You can try posting in the Wanted to Buy NMB thread for your missing parts.  I have some extra seppa.  If you want to PM me with your mailing address, I'll send them to you.  You can try them and find whatever fits and mail the rest back to me.  But like Chris said, if the tsuka fits tightly, you don't need these.

I don't have the black one in this picture, but I have the others.  If you find something you like, you'll have a shot-in-the-dark as to whether they fit on the nakago.  If the hole is too small, it's OK to file the hole bigger. The fittings shops did the same thing.  If too big, it might not work as the seppa could slide up or down and be visually out of place.

IMG_1270.jpg

• Thanks 1

Thank you Chris and Bruce. You guys are bloody on it and great help. I truly appreciate it. 
Bruce, I will pm you mate as I think the brass 1 x seppa and, what Chris was saying, 1 x boar seppa (that’s the o-seppa I believe) should do it. I have about a 3 to 4 mm space there, so is quite loose. Happy to pay you what you need to send them to me.

Thank you again guys. 👍

G'day Dave,

I think you are missing the koiguchi from the mouth of the scabbard rather than the kojiri. Here is a shot of one of mine.

Are you the radio guy from 4TO? Good to have another North Queenslander on board.

Cheers,

Bryce

Koiguchi.jpg

• Like 1

Arrrhhhh yes.... that’s exactly what I’m missing. Thanks Bryce 👍

Great to hear another North Queenslander on here and no, that’s not me though I have met him a few times.
I work with a returned veteran group called Kapani. We go into remote aboriginal communities and recruit for army and mining jobs. Gives an outcome to our veterans and an outcome to the young lads sitting around in communities so a win win 👍

you can check us out on Facebook. Kapani Warrior 👍

thanks Bryce 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Hi John

Not a silly question at all mate. I had no idea that they were here. 
I remember a beautiful Japanese store that used to be on Lake st that sold a lot of incredible stuff but they disappeared. This is probably where they went.

thank you very much. I will contact them Monday 

thanks John 👍

• Thanks 1
  • Wow 1

G'day Dave,

John Grasso is a terrific bloke. He is very helpful, has some amazing swords for sale and probably has some gunto bits and pieces laying around he can help you with.

Cheers,

Bryce

• 1 month later...

Thank you so much everyone for your feedback on this sword and thank you Bruce for sending most the parts I needed.

I now have another question. I have a massive feeling in my gut that this sword that came into my possession is a fake. I cannot see a sword makers make but it has writing down the side. I have taken a couple of photos. Any ideas in this group? You guys are bloody awesome so I trust ya’s

thankyou 

Dave 

3B87FF6F-3CB3-433E-A9A0-1CCD3A04DDA5.jpeg

9652BCE7-4729-4C09-8F5E-722AFC047926.jpeg

8D59D4EF-3742-485D-9F9F-AD1B79AABB27.jpeg

Just from the nakago, almost certainly a fake. However, a picture of the boshi (tip of the blade) would help confirm this. It looks to be one of those recently made Chinese replicas/fakes that are all over the market right now. The tang looks completely wrong and bedraggled, and the hamon looks grinded on.

Did it come with any fittings? What of the habaki: is there one? if there is, does it fit poorly?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..