Translation help - first time poster!

Deperty

Hello all;

im a first-time poster, and looking for help with a translation. I don’t have many reference texts (yet), and am having trouble making out some of the strokes. I’m hoping that some experience from members might help. 

Thank you in advance!

68F9CA02-05D9-42F9-8771-218D404FCCB4.jpeg

C5FD4129-357C-4A9B-8295-ECB164070BE9.jpeg

2A09A4A0-287D-466E-A223-BF9870BFC7FE.jpeg

Hello Andrew,

Date on one side, swordsmith's name and location on the other side. Unfortunately, the date is badly eroded, as is the location. The smith's name looks like 真貞 (Sanesada). There were several smiths who used this name, from as far back as the 1300s to the 1600s. If we could pick out the location or the date (obviously) we could pinpoint which smith made your sword. If we had a look at the entire sword, it would also be a help, as the shape of the sword indicates which era the sword is from. 

Thanks very much!! I’ll get some more photos up as soon as I’m able to. The polish is in a poor state, and I’ll do my best to describe what I’m seeing....hopefully the photos will allow more identification. I’ll have them up soon.

Andrew, if you could lay out the whole thing, tip to tip, with an aerial shot, then we can see the shape of the end of the nakago, and the curvature through the nakago and into the blade, and the overall shape. 

Also if you could get two or three different angled shots of the Mei where your thumb is, the faint dotted lines might just match with something. For example it might then fit with something like... 備中國住真 Bitchu no Kuni Ju Sanesada. (?) :)

Please see attached - a few more shots as requested:

1) each side of the nakago. Perhaps a different angle/light will help make out some of the characters better

2) a full-length shot of the entire blade tip-to-tip

Another observation that may help (though my exposure to katana-length blades is still limited: it feels heavy, to me. Beefy. I’m not sure how else to describe it. Hoping this adds to the ‘feel’ of the sword (as best we can, virtually).

Again - thank you to all for your thoughts, comments and assistance. I truly appreciate it.

B9FEF51A-827A-4FCE-92DB-DEF51C52DE91.jpeg

• Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..