"NICE Fine Muromachi LONG wakizashi" on Ebay

Looking at this as my potential first Nihonto purchase. 

Based on all my research it seems decent enough at the price point. The Kizu I can see in the pictures seem okay given the price point, the only real point of contention being the munegire as mentioned below.

Things that I've noticed that are present:
- Munegire (assuming this is the correct term) about 4-5" behind the kissaki

- Muneware

- Tateware

- Fukure

I'm having a hard time identifying the Nagako Tang end, it seems like it's a worn down Katayama-Kengyo style.

Seller seems legit to an extent, but only has about 200 feedback or so with some recent negative. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/333713770152

Any other input would be greatly appreciated!

Hi George,

Someone is going to say this, so it might as well be me, but if the blade has all of these issues, why are you interested?

I’m assuming you’re thinking this is a long-term interest rather than just the desire to own a Japanese sword, so I’d advise that you think ahead to when you might want to move this on for your next purchase:

Unsigned wakizashi aren’t very desirable items (relatively speaking) and can be a hard sell. 

If they’re full of kizu they’re less desirable still, so if you don’t spend your time staring at them and wondering why you bought them (don’t buy fukure they’re ugly), you can bet they’ll be on the mind of whoever you try to sell to. 

There are many swords in the world so there’s no pressure to own this one. So, my advice is to take some of the money you were going to spend on this blade and invest it in books or travel to sword shows or anything that will increase your knowledge and look again a few months down the line. You may well be happier with the outcome and you will hopefully have dodged a stage in your development that most of us went through...

...and it’s a bit picky but 1600 isn’t muromachi period. 

I hope that helps. 

• Like 8

Hello John,

First, thank you for the prompt reply. 

I was sadly attempting to justify the pricepoint in my head with the issues seen.  Based on what you have mentioned, I'll abstain from purchasing this blade and continue my research/saving up.

I appreciate the assistance :) Have a few books on the way that should help me make better determinations as well!

Also appreciate your input Lonely Panet!

The search continues.

Respectfully,

George 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You can get a FAR nicer wakizashi than that, for that money on our own sales board or from one of our forum dealers.
Post in the WTB and see what gets offered. Or watch the sales for a few days.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Brian said:

You can get a FAR nicer wakizashi than that, for that money on our own sales board or from one of our forum dealers.
Post in the WTB and see what gets offered. Or watch the sales for a few days.

As Brian has stated, buy from one of the trusted sellers on this site. I HIGHLY recommend Grey Doffin and Mark Jones. They partner together and have great deals on quality blades. They are in the US, so no worries on customs or shipping problems for you.

For just a few hundred more than the one you posted, you can have a great blade, WITH PAPERS! This may fit what you are looking for.

https://www.japaneseswordbooksandtsuba.com/store/swords/q424-wakazashi-papered-kishu-yasuhiro

• Like 2

Sugata is a bit too straight for Muromachi, and boshi is suguha (which does happen in Muromachi, but is way more typical for shinto), so it can be kambun shinto. And its not in a professional polish, to the point that not much is going to be seen here.

• Like 1

Thanks again everyone for the replies. 

5 minutes ago, Jean said:

The first question, George, is : what is your budget?

I'd say right around $3,000 will be the top end of my current budget. 

The link Dan provided is fantastic and I may be pursuing one of the Swords available there which falls well within that price point . 

16 hours ago, noneed2hate said:

Thanks again everyone for the replies. 

I'd say right around $3,000 will be the top end of my current budget. 

The link Dan provided is fantastic and I may be pursuing one of the Swords available there which falls well within that price point . 

Feel free to give Grey a call or email. He will give you plenty of information about any of his items. You can also rest assured that with most of his items being papered, they are in good to excellent condition. If he does not have what you are looking for, he has access to Mark's inventory as well. Between the two of them, they can find something in your price range that will make you happy.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..