Sotheby's Norishige

If anyone knows who won the Norishige on Sotheby's (I watched the auction, but did not bid), please ask them to contact me. There is a minor part of that lot that belongs to me that somehow got mixed into that lot 15 years ago and I have been looking for it for 8 years.

I would like to discuss with the new owner if I can buy it from him as it has nothing to do with the sword or the rest of the accoutrements.

So if the winner is reading this or if someone knows the winner, please ask them to be in touch. I am going through Sotheby's as well and have been for a few days but the previous owner was somewhat recalcitrant.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I know the head of the Japanese department, known him for a long time so I've been talking with him on this but their hands are tied because it's owner's decisions. They can only advise.
The former owner seems like might be an American but not in sword circles so basically it's a shirasaya with a sayagaki for one of my swords and got mixed into his Norishige. He wasn't interested in breaking it off and selling it to me.
So, now someone has the lot ... can't find out who because of privacy rules. And just hoping they will see this or someone will know them and can direct them to me and I'll buy the shirasaya from them. Has nothing to do with their Norishige and basically $2k free money waiting for them.

It has a Honma sayagaki on it that I want to preserve and I hope it is not going to go and get lost in Russia or something.

• Haha 1

That's pretty sad. Privacy issues aside, they are fully able to contact the winner themselves and put the offer to him. I assume they are willing to do that?
And I can't see why he wouldn't want to take you up on the offer. Post pics of the lot here, and we'll put the word out.

• 2 weeks later...

They spoke with the buyer several times but he refuses to consider selling me the shirasaya.

The seller also refused to sell it to me before the auction.

Very frustrating. Anyway there will be some karmic biteback I am sure. If anyone ever encounters this sword please let me know. The sword is pretty big (the "Norishige") and is much too big to fit in my shirasaya.

• Sad 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..