"Follow" question

Brian,

For the guy that starts a thread, I would think that the "Follow" should be automatic.  But it doesn't seem to the be case.  Let's say there's a brief thread with a translation request.  First reply gives the translation.  Second is the OP who says "thanks!"  and he's done with the topic, has no need to come by and check on further comments or questions because he got his answer.  So, couple of days later, I come by wanting to know something.  I'm hesitant to use a quote, with the latest campaign against quoting, but it may be the only way to get the OP's attention since he's done with the topic.  Of course I could PM him, but what if I think the question and answer would be relevant to others that might want to see the follow-up?  So I quote him to get an email popped out his way and bring him back to the discussion.  Seems a lot of hubbub when a simple automatic "Follow" for the thread originator would solve the issue.

Thanks again for your work here!

Not going to make notifications mandatory. If people want to get one, they have extensive notification settings in their profile.
They can also be tagged with an @ before their name.
But it is really up to people to check their own threads. If I have to read every single new post every day...then so can the rest of you :glee:
Nah..sorry Bruce. And it's also not a practical setting to activate anyways.

OK Brian. I’m used to turning the setting on and off for threads that I follow, or are done with. And I hear that the software might not make it easy to adjust such an automatic setting for the first original post.  Warrelics and Gunboards seem to be using a software that is set automatically to Follow for every poster.  A person has to “unfollow” if not wanting further updates.  But overall I like NMB’s software better.

Thanks

On 5/10/2021 at 7:30 AM, Bruce Pennington said:

with the latest campaign against quoting,

Bruce as and Bugs.

I have no such campaign. It's a good tool I only object when there back to back ...I just read it no need to read again and again. Quote away ...I'll bow out clumsley.

Archived