Pictures from the NBTHK museum

At the end of 2018 I was in Tokyo for a conference and it turned out that my hotel was just next to the NBTHK museum (I saw a flier about it in the reception). I went there and took some pictures, but I had no clue about what I was looking at (not sure I would be wiser now!).  I've just bumped into those pictures again, I post them here for your enjoyment, after reducing their size. It's clear that I was attracted by nakago and kissaki, the importance of sugata was lost on me at the time...

IMG_0401.jpg

IMG_0397.jpg

IMG_0421.jpg

IMG_0403.jpg

IMG_0389.jpg

IMG_0390.jpg

IMG_0399.jpg

IMG_0392.jpg

IMG_0413.jpg

IMG_0391.jpg

IMG_0398.jpg

IMG_0394.jpg

• Like 3

At TNM temporary exhibits usually ban photography, but permanent collection is mostly allowed.

Yasukuni if I remember correctly is the opposite - temp usually allows photography, while permanent mostly not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Bugyotsuji said:

Always best to ask at reception for their conditions. 

Often they will allow some form of photography somewhere, (even just one room) with no flash.

My mobile phone makes a loud shutter click which cannot be turned off...

Not true for Samsung phones ;)

Just for the sake of fact. .. 

John

1 hour ago, John A Stuart said:

And here I thought photography in both locations prohibited. I did see some tourists taking snaps though. It is not as if there are prosecution for it, the guard at the NBTHK museum usually stops the practice. John

In the NBTHK museum it was explicitly allowed to take photos of the blades but not of the fittings (if I remember correctly they did stop me when I tried to sneak a picture of tsuba). I don’t recall any restrictions in the National Museum, where I took plenty of pictures and even interacted with the guards asking for information about the exhibits.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Bugyotsuji said:

Hi John,

My Sony phone is silent. It's the iPhone that gives the game away... :quiet:

We do not want that :)

In any event, details are present so.. do not break the rules , but, thank you 🖤

John

To put an end to the debate. In both museums there are clear signs of what is allowed and what not. I have taken hundreds of photos in both museums. Sometimes privately owned JuBu and JuBi cannot be photographed but state owned can. 
Same with Juyo and TJ exhibitions - follow the signs. I think you cannot / are not allowed as these are privately owned but cannot remember in detail (and also because I have some photos from such ;)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..