Opinions on KaiGunto

Hi Leroy,

All I can tell you is about the seller. I have bought from Mike previously and found him to be excellent. My sword arrived from California to Florida 16 hours after I sent the money to him!! You can't say better than that!

What makes you say it is not traditionally made?

Does anyone know any site or publication with a good list of Kai Gunto smiths?

Cheers

As far as I understand, stamps usually indicate a non-traditional blade. I know there are acceptions. I am far from an expert. I recently purchased a kai-gunto from AOI-ART. It has no stamps and some decent activity in the hamon. I will try to post pics this weekend.

I too have heard nothing but good things from the seller.

I was just curious of other's opinions of the blade.

-Leroy

Grey,

I am interested to know why you say this is Stainless Steel. What are you looking at? (or not looking at!) A lack of Hada? Hamon artificial? Something to do with the nakano?

I just want to learn more and see some of what you see... :?

Thanks!!

:D

I also have a stainless blade with the naval arsenal anchor stamp.

They also have well cut inscriptions. Kanenaga develolped a special stainless steel for navy blades. This is an excellent example of kai-gunto mounts and the blade in excellent condition. It is not traditionally made and is not a gendaito, however.

It is a stainless blade in my opinion as well.

It is worth the price.

The navy did receive traditionally made blades from the Minatogawa jinja and the Yasukuni smiths as well. None have any stamp and the presence of one indicates that it is not traditionally made. There is one exception, arguably, and that is the star stamp on late war blades. Any attempt to send this to Japan, for instance, would result in it being confiscated.

It is still a nice piece of militaria from WW2. which is where this belongs.

Mike Yamaguchi is a very respectable dealer as well.

regards

bdgrange

Hi BD Grange,

I found this one not so long ago. Kai Gunto too and the mei INABA. Any thoughts? My wife did find a documented "smith" on a Japanese website by this name who made swords for the Navy. This also has the anchor stamp.

Cheers

Nigel

post-7-1419673440853_thumb.jpg

post-7-14196734409334_thumb.jpg

Nigel

Yours having three mekugiana is unusual for a gunto.

It looks like stainless and an anchor stamp would be for the Toyokawa naval arsenal, circle and anchor I believe.

Given only the nakago and sig. I am not sure what may or not be going on with this. The smith is unknown to me as well.

The yakiba on these swords may or may not be real with actual nioi present. This has not been established by anyone.

I am still learning about these as well and there is not much in the way of source material.

best

bdgrange

Thanks Moriyama san,

I will post the details we found on Inaba, including a sword festival they have at the Inaba shrine every year, but I'll have to wait until Yukako gets back from Yokohama later this week, as my grasp of written Nihon-go is pathetic. It was a Japanes website where she found it.

This sword is lying in a junk shop in Florida right now. It looks machine made and it has been stuck into much older (shinto I think) koshirae. the Koshirae is actually qiute reasonable and is probably worth more than the blade!

Cheers!

Hi Moriyama san,

Found, quite by accident the details of what my wife saw on the internet.

She found a shrine called INABA JINJYA in Gifu City, Gifu Prefecture. They still have a sword festival every October for sale and exhibition of nihonto.

She also found a local sword smith named INABA in that prefecture; INABA KANEYOSHI, who was a SHOWA period smith. He was a contract sword smith for Japanese Navy. His teacher was called MATSUBARA SHOZO.

Cannot find any examples of his mei for comparison to the sword lying in the junk shop.

Cheers

She also found a local sword smith named INABA in that prefecture; INABA KANEYOSHI, who was a SHOWA period smith. He was a contract sword smith for Japanese Navy. His teacher was called MATSUBARA SHOZO.

Hi sencho san,

His teacher MATSUBARA SHOZO (松原正造) seems to be a WWII sword smith in Seki. His smith name was also Kaneyoshi (兼吉) according to the WWII Japanese Swordsmiths list on the following Dr. Rich S's site.

http://home.earthlink.net/~ttstein/tosho.htm

http://home.earthlink.net/~ttstein/seki.htm

16.jpg

IMHO this stain and pitting can only be from blood....

it is also on the correct place for a severing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Japanese-Samurai-Sw ... dZViewItem

is the auction...

KM

he should spray the blade with luminol and put blacklight on it.......

more people should do this btw... sometimes very interesting stuff comes up that way........

Any Ideas from the connaisseurs?

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Simon Rowson

Blimey, wish I'd known about using luminol and a blacklight to disclose any past beheadings when I first started collecting Nihonto!

As I've already told Brian in a PM, my dear old mother was the single biggest obstacle I had to overcome when I began collecting!

To quote from my e-mail to Brian:

"I was only about 15 or 16 and so still living at home and my mother, who is now 82, was of the WII generation and had lost both her brother and favourite cousin during that conflict. Just to make matters worse, the cousin had been killed by the Japanese and, when his remains were discovered after the war in a communal grave, he had been beheaded! So, as you can imagine, every time I got a new sword my mother was convinced it was the one that had dispatched her cousin".

If I'd been told about the luminol back then I could have convinced her that I only collected "friendly" swords that had never harmed anyone!

Regards,

Simon

PS/ As I also told Brian, my mother absolutely adores my (Japanese) wife and was 100% behind our decision to move here so please don't get the impression that she's a bitter, twisted old lady.....she just suffered some hard losses in the last war, like most of her generation whatever their nationality.

indeed a gruesome story and a lot she went through...

of course the luminol will not work on repolished swords, however if you find a gunto/gendaito which is probably in its original war state, ie un or not having been polished in the last 70 odd years, it should still work.

A word of consolation on the beheading of her cousin is of course hard to add, since her loss was grave as was the loss of so many lives during WWII.

however in view of Japanese military/bushi culture, and something that has not been understood by many westerners, beheading was in some Japanese eyes considered a much more honourable way of execution than the bullet, hanging(how actual at the moment), or crucifixion which was still used by the Japanese army back then...

KM

Valid as though it may be, I think we need to declare this subject concluded now. In light of worldwide attention on swords as weapons (ref the UK currently) we need to dwell more on the art aspects of these, and not make the lawmakers even more paranoid than they already are :)

Brian