Sword collectors' cheat sheets

Hi guys,

Some time ago a new collector suggested that dealers at the shows should have something to tell customers about the swords they're looking at.  Mark Jones and I share tables at the shows and at this week's Chicago show we will each have short write-ups of all the swords on our tables.  These will tell you who the blade is made by/signed by/papered to, the length, and a bit about the smith: who he was and when he worked.  Please ask to see these if interested.

We will have more than a few swords totally new to the market here in The States: not been to a show, not on my website, haven't been seen by anyone.  With 7 tables we should be easy to find; stop by and say hello..

Cheers,  Grey & Mark

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Could anyone give a brief description of the event for people that have never attended one?

Also, say if someone decides to sell a blade, how does that work? Is it more like going to a car dealership and trying to make a deal OR just like purchasing from a reputable dealer in the US or Japan?

Thank you in advance 

John

the show is similar to any trade show, like a Militaria show, antique show, or even a gun show. There are tables with dealers, or collectors with too much, and people come into the show. If they are looking to buy they walk around and look at items that interest them. If they find something they want they can "discuss" it with the owner, they can ask for a discount, make an offer, negotiate, whatever works.  There are people who have a sword or two that come in either to learn about them or sell them, so they walk around with them and interested buyers ask if they are for sale and "discuss" the price and see if they can work something out, the owner can decide to sell or keep it.  Not unlike any other type of show.  It is always considerate to ask first before picking something up, and if it is your first time you can ask for help handling it item. There an educational lecture/presentation on Saturday morning about proper care and handling of swords for new people. People vary so some dealers are easy to deal with and friendly and some are a bit short so you usually end up dealing with someone you are comfortable with. At  least at the show you see and touch what you are buying instead of relying on pictures and descriptions.

1 minute ago, Mark said:

the show is similar to any trade show, like a Militaria show, antique show, or even a gun show. There are tables with dealers, or collectors with too much, and people come into the show. If they are looking to buy they walk around and look at items that interest them. If they find something they want they can "discuss" it with the owner, they can ask for a discount, make an offer, negotiate, whatever works.  There are people who have a sword or two that come in either to learn about them or sell them, so they walk around with them and interested buyers ask if they are for sale and "discuss" the price and see if they can work something out.  Not unlike any other type of show.  It is always considerate to ask first before picking something up, and if it is your first time you can ask for help handling it item. There an educational lecture/presentation on Saturday morning about proper care and handling of swords for new people. People vary so some dealers are easy to deal with and friendly and some are a bit short so you usually end up dealing with someone you are comfortable with. At  least at the show you see and touch what you are buying instead of relying on pictures and descriptions.

Thank you

John

• Sad 1

My advice (and some will be a repeat of what Mark just said) when looking at dealer blades is ‘go slow’.  

If you don’t know the proper way to draw a blade from shirasaya or saya, ASK.  Do it slowly and considerately.  Ask to see a blade.  Even if a dealer assumes you will look at the blades because that is why he brought them, I think they appreciate you acknowledging them first.  

When looking at a bare blade, and you need to turn it toward a light to get a better view, LOOK AROUND FIRST.  Be aware of your surroundings.  Can’t tell you the number of times someone has been a little ‘loose’ when handling a blade or kinda moving it around a lot.  I never want to be the one doing that or on the receiving end of someone doing that.  Also, don’t approach a table too closely when someone is actively looking at a blade.  No reason to sneak up on them.:)

I always to try to not talk while holding/viewing a blade unless the dealer asks me a question.  First, I’m trying to enjoy it.  Second, I don’t want to be spitting all over a dealers blade while it is close to my face.:)  Plenty of time for questions and discussion after it is safely on the table.

Pick blades up slowly and put them back down even more slowly and carefully.  My rule of thumb is “it belongs to someone else until I hand them the money”.  

Ask questions.  Most dealers are more than generous with information.  

And finally, and I feel silly even saying this, but a “thank you for letting me see your blades” is always in good order. 

This is from a buyer point of view.  I’ll let the dealers chime in if there is anything they would recommend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Mark S. said:

I always to try to not talk while holding/viewing a blade unless the dealer asks me a question.  First, I’m trying to enjoy it.  Second, I don’t want to be spitting all over a dealers blade while it is close to my face.:) 

I think Covid and masks at least helped with that one aspect of viewing swords. No spitting on swords while you are viewing them and chatting.    :laughing:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Mark and Mark S GREAT ADVISE!! I think you both covered all bases and if all of these suggested rules are observed the show will be a great success for the people on BOTH SIDES of the table. I could not attend the show but hope that the show is a great success and all come away happy. I know that I will see some of you in Orlando and until then Happy Collecting

MikeR

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..