Kai Gunto Type 98 - Worth pursuing?

Kaiser21

I came across this Gunto on-line and it looks interesting. As I'm new to Japanese sword collecting I'm interested in whether this one is worth picking up?

It looks to be a Kai-Gunto in the Type 98 mounts. No tang stamps beyond what appears to be the Toyokawa Arsenal stamp.

I'm assuming the blade is stainless steel made from bar stock.

Two questions:

Is it original ?

Is it worth pursuing at $640 U.S. ?

Opinions welcomed as I'm trying to get a feel for what fair market values are. 

$_59 Re-Sized.jpg

$_591 Re-Sized.jpg

$_592 Re-Sized.jpg

$_593 Re-Sized.jpg

$_595 Re-Sized.jpg

$_596 Re-Sized.jpg

Probably just lack of knowledge on my part. I'm equating the presence of two suspension rings on the saya with the type/model. 

I should have said Type 94 which I think has two rings as opposed to the Type 98 with only one.

When you say "looks completely Kai Gunto"  do you mean it's a legitimate Kai Gunto?

15 minutes ago, PNSSHOGUN said:

All good steve, yes this appears to be a legitimate Kai Gunto with stainless steel arsenal blade. For future reference Kai Gunto usually had two suspension rings up until late in the war.

Kai Gunto

Type 94

Type 98

John,

The all-white same' is interesting.  I've seen plenty where the black lacquer is greatly worn off, but you could always see remnants of the lacquer.  This one doesn't seem to show any black at all.  If original, it could be an example of the few photos we have of navy officers in a group of army officers and their tsuka seems to have white same'.

1 hour ago, Bruce Pennington said:

John,

The all-white same' is interesting.  I've seen plenty where the black lacquer is greatly worn off, but you could always see remnants of the lacquer.  This one doesn't seem to show any black at all.  If original, it could be an example of the few photos we have of navy officers in a group of army officers and their tsuka seems to have white same'.

Bruce:

By the "all white same" I take it you're referring to the ray skin on the Tsuka? 

Not to be mercenary, but I'm tempted to pick this sword up however I'm not keen on overpaying for it.

1 hour ago, PNSSHOGUN said:

All good steve, yes this appears to be a legitimate Kai Gunto with stainless steel arsenal blade. For future reference Kai Gunto usually had two suspension rings up until late in the war.

Kai Gunto

Type 94

Type 98

John:

Thanks for clearing that up as well as the reference material.

This field has a lot of ground to be covered, but I'm making some headway.

Worth picking up for the price do you think?

3 hours ago, Kaiser21 said:

Bruce:

By the "all white same" I take it you're referring to the ray skin on the Tsuka? 

Not to be mercenary, but I'm tempted to pick this sword up however I'm not keen on overpaying for it.

Navy rayskin is normally lacquered black;

black.thumb.jpg.1f2d2ef320cf0cc9395e68e7a88fd26c.jpgFrom Ohmura's site.

This is one of mine.  You can see where the lacquer has worn off, yet still see the remnants of it:

1668140586_2015-11-3020_54_27.thumb.jpg.c91eaaad88f44d06bd2da0746c1e5738.jpg

Well. "He who hesitates ...."

I decided to pursue the purchase this morning and it's gone!

I was sure it was good but couldn't gauge the price. It had been sitting around for weeks so I concluded that if it was a good deal it wouldn't still be available.

Guess only two people knew what it was.

Oh well, live and learn.

Many thanks for your input guys. Too bad it was in vain.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..