Raid?

42 minutes ago, Guido said:

I tried the other way around, and looked it up in my English to Japanese dictionary - one possible translation of “raid” is kirikomi ... :roll:

thanks! I think that is what was meant.

• 1 month later...

Apologies for the delay. Here are photos of that blade. No red flags that I can see, but I am a novice at this, so I probably wouldn’t see “a red flag” unless it was taped to my forehead. I welcome and appreciate comments. I like my whiskey straight so please don’t hold back. TIA!

harry

A875FDE3-C944-41ED-A9C6-3265F7EB699A.jpeg

52DECAF7-0819-4540-8475-DCE103B0FBAA.jpeg

Hi Harry,

Looks like it’s been shortened from a longer blade and not sympathetically from the look of the tang. 

Someone has had a go at an amateur polish: the shinogi is wobbly and it used to have a yokote which has practically been blurred out. 

I can’t tell from the photos if the hamon is intact but whatever has been done with the polish has killed it aesthetically. Maybe an acid etch to bring it out after the buffer had killed it. 

Honestly, you’re better off keeping your money in your pocket. 

Straight enough??:)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shugyosha said:

Honestly, you’re better off keeping your money in your pocket. 

Straight enough??:)

Indeed! Many thanks. Excellent advice.

1 hour ago, Shugyosha said:

• Thanks 1

On 5/25/2021 at 11:08 PM, Shugyosha said:

but whatever has been done with the polish has killed it aesthetically. Maybe an acid etch to bring it out after the buffer had killed it.

NO ACID NO ACID - it can't be said enough times.  Properly trained togishi will tell you that acid bites into the metal and can render an otherwise good sword to be not worth the cost of a polish.

BaZZa.

(Hoping this is worth preserving!!!)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bazza said:

NO ACID NO ACID - it can't be said enough times.  Properly trained togishi will tell you that acid bites into the metal and can render an otherwise good sword to be not worth the cost of a polish.

BaZZa.

(Hoping this is worth preserving!!!)

Thanks BaZZa. I won’t etch it. I suspect it’s not worth the cost of a proper polish so I will leave it alone for now.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..