Help with identifying Tachi

DanK

Hello, I'm am hoping someone can help me identify this sword. I was told its a court Tachi from the late 1800's and believe it to be a Tachi, but what is throwing me off is that I was also told that Tachi's would be signed on the right side and Katana on the left when blade is facing down.  Is this always the case?   Any help with who signed or what is says would be much appreciated.

Thanks 

Dan

sword 4 8.jpg

sword 4 2.jpg

sword 4 5.jpg

Dear Dan.

You are basically correct, tachi would be signed on the opposite side if not shortened.  In effect this is a katana in tachi koshirae.  The style of koshirae is not uncommon and is generally suggested to be for Imperial celebrations at the very end of the 19th century or the start of the 20th. The fittings are usually brass, engraved with floral designs and often silver plated.  Here's another example.

CIMG1070.thumb.JPG.caea9e57261ac9be3b87f4f240dc97be.JPG

All the best.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Geraint said:

Dear Dan.

You are basically correct, tachi would be signed on the opposite side if not shortened.  In effect this is a katan in tachi koshirae.  The style of koshirae is not uncommon and is generally suggested to be for Imperial celebrations at the very end of the 19th century or the start of the 20th.

All the best.

Thank you very much

26 minutes ago, Geraint said:

Dear Dan.

You are basically correct, tachi would be signed on the opposite side if not shortened.  In effect this is a katana in tachi koshirae.  The style of koshirae is not uncommon and is generally suggested to be for Imperial celebrations at the very end of the 19th century or the start of the 20th. The fittings are usually brass, engraved with floral designs and often silver plated.  Here's another example.

CIMG1070.thumb.JPG.caea9e57261ac9be3b87f4f240dc97be.JPG

All the best.

Thanks for the help

I am not 100% sure, but I suspect this is a parade/display/symbolic type of sword, and has an oil quenched blade similar to a Showato. Maybe Taisho period or so?
I think it's a genuine sword, but not fully traditionally made, and more for display.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/22/2021 at 7:01 PM, Jwrussell said:

Is it just my newb eyes, or does something look "off" with that hamon?

On 4/22/2021 at 7:17 PM, Geraint said:

Dear Jason.

In this case trust your eyes.  

All the best.

Not just the Hamon! I don’t like the shape of the boshi either.

• Thanks 1

Looks like what they call a "mogito" or a decorator's piece. Modern-made piece, made to sit on a mantle and look passably real to the un-initiated eye. They apparently are made in Japan and are sold in the markets there, blades are made of a soft alloy so they're legal to own. Or at least the koshirae looks that way.. the blade looks like a poor Chinese copy so I think someone stuck a fake blade in a mogito koshirae.

• Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..