Unusual Gunto Koshirae

Itomagoi

Hi Peter , I have one of these . This is only the second one that I have seen . The tsuba on mine is different though . I had previously asked Richard Fuller and Jim Dawson if they had ever seen one and they hadn't, so it is a pretty rare item . I had assumed that mine was unique until I saw your post . A photo of the kabuto gane  is attached . 

Ian Brooks

DSCF4460.JPG

• Like 3

The one on fleabay seems to have a zoheito in it.  This is quite an interesting development.  They seem too well crafted for the average fake operation.  And if a faker, why create a pattern that doesn't even try to emulate the IJA patterns (except for the tsuba)?  Most fakes try to copy the military fittings.  I don't know what we're looking at, but it doesn't seem faked.

Zoheito.jpg

I do like that, seems a lot higher quality fittings than your normal 98s, wonder is these were special order or custom made . Glad you posted these as If I'd seen them somewhere I'd of assumed they were fakes or civilian mounts of some kind. I really like that design its reminiscent  of an old Tachi in my opinion, more so than the standard 98s. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bruce Pennington said:

The one on fleabay seems to have a zoheito in it.

Bruce, please read the fine print below.  My comment about you being fired was located here but I deleted it just to be on the safe side!

WW2 Japanese Gunto sword
(note: the blade is not real, to comply with Japanese sword regulations)

This is a fine example of a 2nd World War Japanese Gunto sword. 
Very nice for display, or can be used for parts. It'd be a shame, but why not.
Again, the blade, is made of steel, looks like it has a hamon (temper line) but does not cut. It's just for show.
Provenance: estate sale.
It's in very good condition.

15 minutes ago, Kiipu said:

Bruce, please read the fine print below.  My comment about you being fired was located here but I deleted it just to be on the safe side!

Ha!  Go ahead, the pay is lousy! 

And I hate reading the fine print!

So, it begs the question then - who put that blade in there and why?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bruce Pennington said:

So, it begs the question then - who put that blade in there and why?

All I can say is that the sword is located in Japan and anything beyond that is speculation.

Item location:  Chiba City, Chiba-ken, Japan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Peter,

Your thread, and detective work, need to be transferred to the "Fake Swords" thread in the Gallery!  You are finding some real doozies!  Looks new, but with artificially aged fittings.  See the chemical marks around the edges of the seppa?  The other metal parts are clearly treated as well to age them.  The habaki and tsuba have marks on them to make them look used/aged.  The thinness of the metal parts is another give-away.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..