Translation help on old Katana

Jaforia

I need some help translating the kanji on this old katana that is my grandfather's. I tried to translate the kanji myself but I was having a pretty hard time making out the kanji on it in the first place so I thought I could post the pictures here and get some help as to the meaning of it. Any help is apprenticed! If anybody needs any clarifications or further pictures I a happy to obligate. Thank you very much! Imgur Link to more photos because the total size was reached https://imgur.com/a/BHyXuhv.   

IMG_1259.JPG

IMG_1260.JPG

IMG_1275.JPG

IMG_1271.JPG

Edited by Jaforia
putting in more pictures

Dear Jayden.

Your first to picture show the swordsmiths signature which is Tsuda Omi no kami Sukenao.  The other side is the date which I can't quite make out.  This is a big name and there is a probability that this signature will not be genuine.  However don't do anything in the way of cleaning at all and take a few more pictures for others to asses.  Whatever the consensus this is a genuine Japanese sword and deserves looking after.

One to compare here, you can see why I suggested a fake signature, http://www.samuraisword.com/nihonto/Hozon/Sukenao/index.htm

All the best.

The smith’s signature  is Tsuda Omi (no) kami Sukenao - it’s a big name if genuine. 

The date runs too cursive for me to make out, but if it matches this smith’s known activity will be in the second half of the 17th century. 

If you are able to post some close-up shots of the blade you might get a view on whether the workmanship matches the signature. 

I see Geraint has weighed in whilst I’ve been writing so apologies if I’ve duplicated what he said. 

• Like 1

The blade is a bit messy because the previous owner before my grandfather did not take very good care of it but I will take some more close up pictures of the tang and blade and put them in the original post . Thank you very much for replying! p.s. I took the photos outside this time for better light. *Edit I put the updated pictures in an imgur upload because the max file size was reached.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..