Help identifying inherited sword

I am in the process of cleaning out my elderly father's house and came across what appears to be an antique (or at least old) sword which I’ve been told is a katana. I will ultimately end up either selling or gifting the sword, but I have no idea of its approximate value.

It would be incredibly helpful to have idea of where to start in identifying or estimating the value of the sword.  My dad was an antique dealer so clearing his house is a monumental tasks that's required me to learn about everything from antique canes to vintage potato mashers, so anything that might expedite my research would be so appreciated. I don't "live" with the sword - so I can't take more photos immediately - but I can provide them within the next week when I return to my dad's house.

Thank you SO much in advance!

IMG_3826.jpg

IMG_4883.jpg

IMG_4884.jpg

IMG_6147.jpg

IMG_6152.jpg

• Wow 1

Dear Danielle.

Your sword is signed, "Kazusa no Suke Fujiwara Kaneshige".  This is a smith named Kaneshige who was working around 1660, there are two possible smiths.  As with all art works the possibility of a forged signature exists but I don't think it likely in this case.  It is in samurai mounts and although we can't see much detail they look attractive.  You don't give a length, which is measured from the tip to the notch on the back edge where the habaki, (blade collar) sits, but I am guessing that it is katana length, i.e. 24" plus.  It's a nice thing and should be cared for.  It looks in quite good condition.

Do not do anything to it, very important.  Don't be tempted to clean the tang or anything else, it is just as it should be.  Above all don't touch the blade with your bare hands.

There may be a member of the NMB who is near you who can give you a hands on appraisal but most of us would like to see a shot of the bare blade without the fittings.

All the best.

• Thanks 1

Hi Daniell,

your sword was obviously made by: “上総介藤原兼重” (Kazusa no Suke Fujiwara Kaneshige).

Please don’t touch the blade and leave it alone for the time being. Our sword scholars here will guide you further...

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Geraint said:

Dear Danielle.

Your sword is signed, "Kazusa no Suke Fujiwara Kaneshige".  This is a smith named Kaneshige who was working around 1660, there are two possible smiths.  As with all art works the possibility of a forged signature exists but I don't think it likely in this case.  It is in samurai mounts and although we can't see much detail they look attractive.  You don't give a length, which is measured from the tip to the notch on the back edge where the habaki, (blade collar) sits, but I am guessing that it is katana length, i.e. 24" plus.  It's a nice thing and should be cared for.  It looks in quite good condition.

Do not do anything to it, very important.  Don't be tempted to clean the tang or anything else, it is just as it should be.  Above all don't touch the blade with your bare hands.

There may be a member of the NMB who is near you who can give you a hands on appraisal but most of us would like to see a shot of the bare blade without the fittings.

All the best.

Thank you so much - I will definitely measure and post additional information and photos as soon as I can!

Nice looking sword. Assuming blade condition is ok with no major flaws, it is a decent sword with value in excess of $2000 at a guess. Perhaps something worth consigning with one of our trusted dealers here that will get you the best return and make sure it ends up with a good home.
Ignore private offers until you have a better idea of what you have.

• Like 3

Hello,

from Markus books:

KANESHIGE (兼重), 2nd gen., Kanbun (寛文, 1661-1673), Musashi – “Kazusa no Suke Kaneshige” (上総介兼重), “Kazusa no Suke Fujiwara Kaneshige” (上総介藤原兼重), “Tsuji Kazusa no Suke Fujiwara Kaneshige” (辻上総介 藤原兼重), “Kazusa no Kami Kaneshige” (上総守兼重), “Kazusa no Kami Fujiwara Kaneshige” (上総守藤原兼重), real name Tsuji Suke´emon (辻助右衛門), son of the 1st gen. Kaneshige, he temporarily worked in Anotsu (阿濃津) in Ise province, there exist joint works with the 3rd gen. Yasutsugu (康継) and Hōjōji Masateru (法城寺正照), the workmanship is similar to Kotetsu (虎徹), it is said that he also matched his meiburi to that of Kotetsu, he was granted the honorary title Kazusa no Suke which was later raised to Kazusa no Kami, but there are only a few blades extant which are actually signed with Kazusa no Kami, there is the theory that this has something to do with the right that the post of governor (kami) of three provinves Hitachi, Kazusa and Kōzuke was always granted to the Imperial Prince, this right started in the 9th century but was officially never abandoned, that means Kaneshige returned to sign with his former honorary title Kazusa no Suke out of respect for the prince´s title, the workmanship is similar to his father but he also hardened a suguha or gunome mixed with the typical ashi of Kotetsu, the jigane is strong but not that bright as at Kotetsu, we know date signatures from the eighth year of Kanbun (1668) to the fifth year of Tenna (天和, 1685), ryō-wazamono, jō-saku

Oshigata for mei comparison:

Kazusa no Suke Fujiwara Kaneshige.JPG

• Like 1

Here are a few more photos of the sword.  I figured the more the better, so apologies if this this overkill. I need to take photos of the blade in better light and will post them later today.

The sword is just over 27 inches (measured as suggested above).  

Does anyone have suggestions for next steps?  Is this something that I should try to get formally appraised?  

Again, thanks SO MUCH for all of the help and information!

Danielle

IMG_6187.jpg

IMG_6188.jpg

IMG_6189.jpg

IMG_6191.jpg

Congratulations. It seems like quite a nice find and package overall. Some of the fitting are quite nice too. A value estimate depends on the polish, condition and if there are any flaws among a bunch of other factors that can be hard to determine from photos. IMO it would make sense to pursue an appraisal or further investigate the piece. I agree with the above assessments. And to also re-emphasize, please don't try to clean, alter or touch the sword. Less is more.

On 4/22/2021 at 2:30 AM, Brian said:

Nice looking sword. Assuming blade condition is ok with no major flaws, it is a decent sword with value in excess of $2000 at a guess. Perhaps something worth consigning with one of our trusted dealers here that will get you the best return and make sure it ends up with a good home.
Ignore private offers until you have a better idea of what you have.

Hi Brian,

Is this something that is worth getting authenticated?  I did a little reading on the process, but I wasn't sure if it made sense to pursue shinsa.  Do you have recommendations for dealers who would be helpful in figuring out what my next steps should be?

Thanks so much for your help!

Danielle

Danielle, this maker is known, and fairly highly ranked (jo-saku in Fujishiro), but not particularly famous.  The signature looks good enough to submit for shinsa.  You can  go to the expense and trouble to get it appraised (and it is trouble - you would have to either send it to Japan through an agent or wait for a shinsa team to come to shows in Chicago, Florida or San Francisco.  Cost to send it to Japan and have it appraised would be at least $1000; it would be a bit cheaper if you take it to one of the shows mentioned above).   One of two things would happen.  If they conclude that it is authentic, then it may be worth at most around $4000 or so, depending on condition.  If they conclude that it is not authentic (meaning that it was made a few hundred years ago by someone else and a false signature was put on it at that time), then maybe it is worth around $2000 or a little more.   This is a bit of a gamble.  If you sell it now to a dealer or collector, you can probably get in the $2000-2500 range, in my opinion.   I happen to know an honest dealer in the New York area and would be happy to put you in touch with him, if that helps.  Alternatively, there is a for sale section on this message board and you will have all of the participants in our board able to purchase it.  If you were to ask $2500, somebody might buy it or offer you a little less.  Best of luck with it.  Cheers, Bob 

• Thanks 1

On 5/3/2021 at 4:17 AM, Jacques D. said:

I trust only NBTHK

Same here but in his case shipping to Japan would be way more headache than just taking a trip to San Fran this August. That trip might bring him an extra $2000, that's why I suggested it.

Cheers

John 

So nice to see a nicely preserved (not abused, chipped and rusted) turn up like this. As to what steps to take with the sword, is this something you would preserve and appreciate  (being inherited) or is of only passing interest. Often, a non-collector would rather turn a sword into $$$ and hopefully put it into the hands of an appreciative collector. There are many sincere and honest collectors around. Taking it to San Francisco to the NTHK shinsa would authenticate the signature  (or not pass it as "as signed"). If your only interest in selling the sword, shop around the show and get a feel for what it is worth and sell it. If nothing else, it would be a great learning experience for you. If you have any family history on the sword, it's always nice to pass that on to the next owner. 

Ron STL 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 9 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..