Mixed Daisho?

Spartancrest

Has anyone ever come across a daisho pair where the larger guard is in iron and the smaller with the same design in kinko?

I ask because I found a guard in the D. Z. Norton collection in iron 74mm diam. and one yesterday listed on an auction site at 69mm in what appears soft metal. 

https://www.jauce.com/auction/g499717457

I realize that they may simply be utsushi but the idea struck me that perhaps they could be a pair - what are the rules with daisho? Just a thought exercise.:dunno:

image.thumb.png.164e999c162fac8737304f53e814099f.png

Dear Dale.

For what it is worth I see too many differences for these to be called a daisho, apart from the base material and the seppa dai design.  e.g. detail of the tail at one o'clock, carving of the mimi, detail of the dragon head at 12 o'clock, sinuosity of the tail at 9 o'clock and so forth.  I would suggest that the kinko version is a pale imitation of the quality of the iron example.  Not all daisho koshirae have what we might call a true daisho pair of tsuba.   I can recall a daisho where the smaller tsuba was a lacquered pair to the larger which clearly had been done when the daisho koshirae was produced.  

I think you are right when you suggest utsushi or what in other circles might be called school of.

All the best.

• Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..