Japanese Nihonto Sword Help

panzerbob

Hello Everyone:

I’m new to the forum I just pickup this Nihonto Sword and would like some information on it.It has a straight hamon which is barely visible. Had it on Wehrmacht militaria forum and they suggested I place it here on the Nihonto sword forums for more information. I would greatly appreciate any information Thanks. Here is the link to Wehrmacht awards to see the pics it seems my pics are to big to down load to this site. https://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/forum/ken-jasper-international-militaria-forums/Japanese-militaria-forum/12286837-Japanese-sword-help

sword18.thumb.JPG.df4937ea44b8da340ac813ee754ca539.JPG

Most here aren't members of WAF, and you need to be to view pics. Try Googling free image resizers and get the size down a bit, and post here. Allowed size here is generous, so the problem must lie elsewhere.
The ones I see there easily fit within our parameters.

hello Robert, welcome. I hope I don't sound too pedantic, but, anyhow, Nihonto in itself means Japanese sword; Nihon-Japan and To-sword. So, adding the words Japanese or sword to the word Nihonto is redundant. Little info can be gleaned from the one pic I have access to and look forward to more. John

Hi Bob,

The blade doesn’t look like a wartime blade to me - I’d guess it to be older than that. I’m not saying it’s a lost treasure, but it looks more interesting than a normal gunto. 

Unfortunately, it’s hard to date it precisely without being able to see the detail, so sorry to send you back to your camera but if you are able to post some detail shots of the hamon, the tip and any evidence of the metal having been folded ie grain pattern, you’ll probably get some better answers. 

I can’t add anything about the fittings so I’ll leave that to the gunto guys. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Sugata looks kanbun shinto to me -- but that's about all I'm going on so far.  The pictures of the tang seem like early shinto or late koto; the hi imply to me it's mumei ubu, so I'd put it say 1580-1650 -- but I'm going way out on a limb given the lack of detail in the pictures. Just trying as an academic exercise, since I've been out of things so long :-)

To me it looks like someone “cleaned” it. The yokote line is not so prominent and it looks fairly scratched vertically.  

I too would guess it’s older but definitely needs some restoration work to tell period. 

a picture of just the whole bare blade laid out would help probably tell period. 

Welcome to the forum, btw.

• 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..