position of swords on stand

jeeplover

ok i know i have asked this question before and was told there is no tradition or nothing to dictate how you place the sword on the stand. what I was told(blade up, always, right side means it's a time of war, left side peace.) when I said this on a forum years ago I was laughed at. well, what is the truth?

i guess it is ok i was just told years ago that i was wrong when i was saying the way a sword is displayed has meaning. at the time i could not find the proof to back up my claim it was something i read somewhere. i just thought maybe i am wrong or i read it wrong. it came up again today and reminded me what i was told .well not that appears to be wrong.

Hi Keith,

The positioning of a sword on a stand, or even a fan in the hand, within the Household, was indeed a matter of some importance in Pre Modern Japanese Culture.

The Sekiguchi Ryu tradition of Martial Arts and other Koryu (Pre - Meiji systems) contain elements of weapons training within the Household.

Perhaps research the series produced in the 1970's by the Nippon Kobudo Shinkokai (Association of Ancient Japanese Martial Arts).

Many of these are available on YouTube.

The Ogasawara school of classic etiquette also detail such matters.

:)

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..