New Member with a Few Questions on a Signed Stainless Sword

Thanks in advance for your help. I am just learning and had a question on a sword.

I talked to a guy the other day who had a stainless steel katana that he said was a bring back from WW2, which was signed. He told me that these were usually mass produced and it was unusual for it to have a signature because they were more mass produced. Kai Gunto. He wants around $1K for it and I'm wondering if it is a good deal and any info. as I have not been able to find hardly anything on it. If these were more mass produced, then why would this one be signed and is that truly 'unusual'? 

I don't have a picture because I didn't buy it, but have his number. Thanks for helping the new guy.

Thank you, Bruce. 

I am not an expert, in actuality, I am so new that it is sometimes a bit overwhelming. Just being honest. I have been interested in these since I was 5 years old. When I was around 21, I learned that the ones Vets brought back home sometimes were older than WW2. It has only been in the last year or two that I have had occasion to buy (always something else that I spent on). Well, in the past two years I bought two katanas. I know it is not much of a collection, but with a family it is what it is. 

My goal is to learn more and I suppose this is not anything fancy but I would dream of owning a per-1800 blade. One I have is late 1800s, the other is WW2, but an officers sword, with a family crest.

I really appreciate the help. I think I might YOLO this one because it is doubtful I will have time to think it over...person does not run a shop and is a long time collector of good reputation.

• Thanks 1

I will try to post photos prior to purchase. As indicated, the seller is a serious collector, I am guessing around 100+ swords, just from what I have witnessed and on occasion, sell via prominent auction houses. I am at a disadvantage...but I am doing this for fun. Will update as the facts become evident. Kind regards, Chuck.

S/S Kai Gunto are not very high on the wanted list. And the price isn't a steal...it seems low average. Unless there is something really special here, don't get into the "I have to buy this" mood. These are strictly militaria and not Nihonto. Just don't go into it with a "my last chance to get a bargain" mode.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How do you tell if it's a stainless steel sword ?  I have a signed Yoshe Tsugu that I believe has no hamon. Hard to tell because of it's condition. Also it has artificial Same.

Sho Wa (Period) Ju Hachi ( 18th ) Nen (year = 1943) Ju Ichi ( 11 th November) Gatsu (Month)

YosheTsugu.JPG

Mei.JPG

Habaki.JPG

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..