Mantetsu ?

Alex1984

2 minutes ago, Moley said:

What do good Mantetsu go for

Gwyn,

I agree with you on the box and note.  That's far more elaborate than normal fakers would do.  To get to your question, though, a Mantetsu will fetch at least $1,000 more than an average IJA gunto.  I don't have a good feel for the post-COVID market now, but before COVID they were going for $2,600-3,600 USD.

So it is very unclear?

Is it showa-to (i could not say it from the pictures)

Faked mantetsu

Chiseled stamp fake or not.

I'm flummoxed :laughing:

How much was this sword?

Btw i like the box. The sword itself would look good in a display. The quality of the sword is good. The whole condition is nice too.

20 minutes ago, vajo said:

So it is very unclear?

Is it showa-to (i could not say it from the pictures)

Faked mantetsu

Chiseled stamp fake or not.

I'm flummoxed :laughing:

How much was this sword?

Btw i like the box. The sword itself would look good in a display. The quality of the sword is good. The whole condition is nice too.

The sword costs 2000 € at the moment. But the seller is in no hurry to part with him. I think it will cost 3000 € ...

The sword is registered on the site. I contacted the seller to find out the price for how much the sword was sold. He replied that tomorrow the client will come to see. The amount he will pay is 3500 €. So let's see. Suddenly the person will refuse tomorrow))

Ran the box and tag by the guys at Warrelics HERE..  Results mixed.  They agree the tag is legit.  Nick is bothered by the writing on the box.  He has been tracking a known faker in China, Chiba prefecture, by the name of Kondo.  Nick's comment: "Perhaps the tag is original, but I do not like the writing on the box." with a link to another discussion of his Fake Flags.

So, *sigh*, still nothing definitive. 

Like I've said on the previous blades of similar problems, all the abnormalities of this blade could be explained simply by the fact that it was a custom job.  So, I will continue tracking them.

I keep looking at it and I am indeed "flumoxed"... it looks so real for a fake, and yet too good to be true. Still, special orders certainly existed and a special order wouldn’t necessarily  be numbered. If only gut feelings were necessary, I would lean towards genuine. But I’m probably wrong, of course.

EDIT: then again, can’t make up my mind. The surface looks like a Koa, yet the Mino Hamon looks oil tempered... aaaaargh! My head!

• Thanks 1

• 10 months later...

We have been discussing this gunto lately, and after checking my chart, I have 28 "NAN" stamped Mantetsu and none of them are Koa Isshin.  Of the couple hundred Koa on file, none have the NAN stamp.  So, while we "never say never with gunto" I'd say that piece of evidence tilts the scales further toward this being gimei.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..