Help with Last Character?

Another day, another Mei with that ONE character I can't get.  I'm certain about the beginning, which is 筑 前 住 源 信 国 吉 or 筑 前 住 源 信 國 吉, depending on which form of "KUNI" I use. I found more with the second one way of writing it, though it is definitely 国 on the tang.

So it would read CHIKUZEN JU MINAMOTO NOBUKUNI YOSHI ???

However, I found nothing on the last character. Most MEI I can find want the smith's name to end with 吉包 YOSHIKANE or 吉貞 YOSHISADA.  That character looks like 枚 MAI or something else. I'm at a loss. The other characters are quite easy to read.

ONSV21mei.jpg

ONSV21sugata.jpg

Oh wow! Thanks!  It's got a 21 inch blade, so it's a Wakizashi. I wish the polish was in better shape. Came mounted in Type 98 Shin-Gunto fittings, with a leather covered scabbard, like several other older blades I've seen.

Time for the researching. It doesn't look like it's been Shortened.

On 4/14/2021 at 11:32 AM, cisco-san said:

Thanks!  Looks like there were three generations, with various different MEI, though none match exactly what I have. Hopefully NYTK can start having in person meetings again later this year, so maybe I could have someone look at it first hand, and not at my horrible pictures.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..