Magoroku Kanemoto

I've had this blade for several years now and have done a lot of learning, still think it might be a Katate-uchi from the 1520s...(length is 56 cm, btw) Looking for opinions on whether it could/couldn't be the work of such a big name and whether I've at least got the type/approx date nailed down or not Thanks!

-Jason

20210412_091932.jpg

15 minutes ago, Chango said:

20210412_091746.jpg

Hello Jason,

I am in the same predicament as yourself.  Maybe some of the much more knowledgeable people here would give you a better answer but usually (from what I have read), blades that are dated or named after the owner stand out as custom ordered (some well informed members mentioned that putting a date or anything 'extra' would have required much more time to complete). My point of view is - how nice is the jigane and the hamon?!

I can see the togari gunome (Sambon sugi?) , but not much of the hada. In any event, nice blade IMHO! Cheers,

John

17 minutes ago, Darkcon said:

Hello Jason,

I am in the same predicament as yourself.  Maybe some of the much more knowledgeable people here would give you a better answer but usually (from what I have read), blades that are dated or named after the owner stand out as custom ordered (some well informed members mentioned that putting a date or anything 'extra' would have required much more time to complete). My point of view is - how nice is the jigane and the hamon?!

I can see the togari gunome (Sambon sugi?) , but not much of the hada. In any event, nice blade IMHO! Cheers,

John

The jigane is mokume mixed with itame  and the hamon is sanbonsugi with a really nice crystalline outline (sorry I forget the proper term) that follows the the sanbonsugi unbroken down the length of the blade. It's in too rough of a polish to tell much more other than the less damaged surfaces of the blade shine like crushed diamonds when shined on by a light. I get the impression It's a high quality blade anyway but I'm no expert on the matter. 

• 2 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..