Help me identify my sword

Rand

Hello,

I'm trying to get a little info on my Kyu Gunto. (A name hitherto unknown to myself until today). It belonged to my grandfather, who was a captain in the US Navy. It was given to him as a gift after he was stationed in Osaka sometime after WW II had ended. I know absolutely none of the terminology associated with these swords so any help would be appreciated. Attached are pictures of the sword and I can post more if needed. Thanks!

RandPXL_20210411_233140148.thumb.jpg.d8cf58486f0a44c1f1c8a2b2f176d9d1.jpg

PXL_20210411_233109797.jpg

PXL_20210411_233058740.jpg

PXL_20210411_233031493.jpg

• Like 1

This is a model 19 dress sabre I believe (Bruce, correct me if I am wrong there). It is machine-made and chrome-plated. HOWEVER, this is one of the most immaculate examples I have seen! It appears to have a higher-ranking tassel on it as well and has a family emblem on the backstrap. The only downside is that the wire filigree on the grip is coming loose, which is all too common with these. It also appears to have a custom order false-hamon applied to the blade, which is another bonus.

All-in-all, a very nice example!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ChrisW said:

This is a model 19 dress sabre I believe (Bruce, correct me if I am wrong there). It is machine-made and chrome-plated. HOWEVER, this is one of the most immaculate examples I have seen! It appears to have a higher-ranking tassel on it as well and has a family emblem on the backstrap. The only downside is that the wire filigree on the grip is coming loose, which is all too common with these. It also appears to have a custom order false-hamon applied to the blade, which is another bonus.

All-in-all, a very nice example!

Thank you very much! I had no idea that mine was anything special beyond being in a bit better shape than other's I've seen. My grandfather kept his prized possessions in immaculate shape and I've kept it wrapped up in a closet since I got it.

Which part is the family emblem? the little square with the three squares in it? Is there a way to trace which family gifted this to my Grandpa?

What is the symbol that is on the hilt next to the blade? Is that the maker's emblem?

The silver mon on the backstrap is the emblem, I do not know which. As for the stamped symbol on the guard, I believe that is an arsenal mark.

The best parts about the blade is the mon on the backstrap, the tassel, the custom etched hamon, and the fine shape it is in (the chrome plating usually is in poor shape on these things). You'll have to wait from others to hear more about the mon and engraving. Kyu gunto are my favorite types of blades to collect, especially if they have a traditionally-made blade in the mounts.

The symbol on the guard is from the Suya, they were one of the largest military equipment suppliers of the war and also made some of the best sword mounts of that time. The rank tassel is a nice Field Grade(Major-Colonel) example, the officer was likely promoted from Captain and chose to keep his company grade sword instead of purchasing a new Field Grade model. 

• Thanks 1

Imho the tassel isnt originally to this sword. Prob a added piece to make it more sellable. If the tassel is original its worth more then the dress sword itself.

This is a earlier type 19, as it still sports the prussion influence shown in the rippled koi-guchi on the saya.

Also  note the tassel would have either more wear or damage to it worn like that as it custom to hav the lanyard knotted around the guard. 

2 minutes ago, lonely panet said:

Imho the tassel isnt originally to this sword. Prob a added piece to make it more sellable. If the tassel is original its worth more then the dress sword itself.

This is a earlier type 19, as it still sports the prussion influence shown in the rippled koi-guchi on the saya.

Also  note the tassel would have either more wear or damage to it worn like that as it custom to hav the lanyard knotted around the guard. 

Thank you for your input. Like I said, I know nothing about it so I'm interested in finding out all I can. With that said, and my memory is quite hazy as I received this from him 25 years ago, I remember him telling me that he got it from a Japanese officer whilst stationed in Osaka, and he mentioned that I shouldn't take the tassel off or untie the knot because it is valuable. It had been on my grandfather's wall from as far back as I could remember, even as a kid. I always oogled it when I was there which is why he gifted it to me.

now im at home at my computer ill be more detailed.

this is a full dress sword, not a weapon. so threy had a varity of tassel that would be changed depending on the event or duty they would be attending 

so the sword is company grade would be from corporal to warrant officer

the field grade tassel is for 2nd lieutenant to colonel 

or have i got it wrong. im doubting mysleft now....

4 hours ago, lonely panet said:

so the sword is company grade would be from corporal to warrant officer

the field grade tassel is for 2nd lieutenant to colonel

Maybe I'm missing something?  "grades" as in "company grade" and "field grade" are officer terms.  Company grad is Lt - Capt; Field grade is Major - Colonel.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..