Search info about an artist

sabiji

Would be happy if anyone has information in their records or books about an artist named Suzuki Ichirin (period of activity, affiliation with a school).
I would also be grateful for pictures of his works.
Best regards,
Thomas.

20210307_101728.jpg

I presume you already have this information? http://www.japaneseswordbooks.com/Fittings.html

A shibuichi kozuka carved in katakiri with a group of horses playing, signed Suzuki Ichirin and kao. This artist
worked in Edo and is listed in the Soken Kisho (1781) and was therefore working prior to this date.
  • Thanks 1

@Bruno, thank you very much!

@ Dale, yes, that is exactly the Kozuka. I bought it from Alan in 2016. It was an impulse buy because I liked it - although I am not a Kinko collector.
I was hoping, if available, for more detailed info.

Trans:

Tsuchiya School,

from the line of Yasuchika, starting from the 4th generation

Yasuchika the 4th was active also with the name “Nagahide”. His first name (or real name) was “Shinsuke”. He also used “Sei Unsai” and “Ichirin. It isn’t known if the 4th gen was the natural son of (or adopted by) the 3rd gen. Either way, he also studied with the master Iwamoto Konkon in the province of Mito. There he produced pieces signed “4th gen Yasuchika, resident of Mito”. The 4th gen Yasuchika produced works mostly in katakiribori.

[from Markus Sesko’s text on the Japanese Toso-Kinko Schools, p.166]

-------------------------------------

I had not read this before, but it frames perfectly a fuchi-kashira set attributed to the 4th gen that I had been resisting buying. The work was in katakiribori.

Also, I'd been studying this yondai work.

https://www.kusanaginosya.com/SHOP/238.html

--There is something about his katakiribori that stands out to me as distinct, but I haven't figured it out yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..