Muromachi Period Blade?

Jcremer24

IMO, gimei (not original signature). To me, it looks like the blade has been shortened over it's life, due to the several ana (holes) in the nakago (tang) meaning, if there was a signature, it may have been lost or would be further down on the nakago. Also, the polish is very poor making blade identification (i.e. if it is a real Nagamitsu) more difficult. I like the sugata (shape) though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m useless at mei so I’m not going to try, but I can say if your sword is muromachi it’ll have sakisori (sword curves late into the blade) like these two. 
Since you don’t have a top down photo and I’m using a phone it’s hard for me to tell but it looks like your sword has it, and also might be pretty curved so even if the signature is fake it could be muromachi, maybe even from the same general time period.

098ABCC7-C9FD-4451-A5BF-81550C886BB3.jpeg

EBFFDB0D-6ADB-427A-AEE7-F923726252B3.jpeg

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, quoshy said:

IMO, gimei (not original signature). To me, it looks like the blade has been shortened over it's life, due to the several ana (holes) in the nakago (tang) meaning, if there was a signature, it may have been lost or would be further down on the nakago. Also, the polish is very poor making blade identification (i.e. if it is a real Nagamitsu) more difficult. I like the sugata (shape) though.

I kindly disagree, several mekugi ana are not a proof of suriage,  the location of the mei, the path taken by the nakago shinogi and the nakago jiri suggest that this sword is ubu.

There are several Nagamitsu even if we can exlude THE Nagamitsu

Jason, 

Measurements will be helpful (nagasa, sori, motohaba, moto kasane etc.).

• Thanks 3

8 hours ago, Jacques D. said:

I kindly disagree, several mekugi ana are not a proof of suriage,  the location of the mei, the path taken by the nakago shinogi and the nakago jiri suggest that this sword is ubu.

Jason, 

Nagasa: 70cm(27.56in)
Saki-haba 1.9cm(0.75in)
Saki-gasane 0.5cm(0.2in)
Moto-haba 3.1cm(1.22in)
Moto-gasane 0.8cm(0.31in)
Shirasaya full length 105cm(41.34in)
Sori curve 2cm(0.79in)

measurements from the seller...

On 4/9/2021 at 12:09 AM, Jacques D. said:

Jason, 

You're absolutely right. Thanks for pointing those features out. I need to slow down and pay more attention.

• Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..