Some Help With Daisho Tsuba Decision

Mark S.

So recently AOI Art had a daisho tsuba set on auction.  I really like the tea ceremony theme but I know less about tsuba than I do blades.  Assuming I know these are rather ordinary tsuba (not looking for masterpieces), is the condition really a ‘no go’ for these?  I’m assuming the loss of the gold highlights in many areas detracts from them considerably.  Is there anything else I am missing that should really steer me clear of these?   Or is the fact that no one bid on them enough of a ‘hint’?  A little education please.

https://www.aoijapan.com/daisho-tsuba-mumei-4/

8E8E2697-DA1F-46A3-9720-7ADC5D655AAE.jpeg

They are a surprisingly common pattern and do turn up on auction sites very often, most are good quality utsushi but a few cast examples do the rounds. Daisho are rarer to find of course and would command a higher price but 75,000 yen is reasonably average for two. I supply an image of utsushi that I have collected, the boxed two on the right are anomalous as they do not have pierced windows. 

PS. an un-gilded single one sold for $40 last week - but the images were poor and there was no guarantee it wasn't cast.

kitchen compilation.jpg

• Wow 1

Hi Mark,

I've had a look at the photos on the Aoi page and the item looks like a genuine piece.  There appears to be no rust scabs on the iron and I think that your worry about the loss of gold nunome may be a bit unjustified.  It looks like the gold has been applied in kakihagi, shadow inlay, which creates a more subtle effect.  Gold nunome around the rim of tsuba does tend to wear off in use, but this inlay is in the main body.  It is probably a competently made late Edo piece using a standard design (IMHO).

I am not recommending the vendor to you, but I have bought a tsuba from him and the purchase went smoothly and the item was in good condition, as described.  The only fault that I have with Aoi is that they are non-committal as to the possible artist schools.  I'm sure their knowledge is far greater than mine, but everything seems to be 'mumei,Edo period' unless it has a NBTHK certificate (covering themselves I guess).  Hope this helps with your decision.

Best regards, John

• Like 2

Hi Mark,

I have used credit card with my purchases from with Japanese dealers.  Only additional cost for me has been UK import duty, 5% on antiques and 20% on non-antiques.  I don't know what it is for the USA, but ask Japanese senders to write on the customs form 'Antique, over 100 years old', just in case you have similar charges.

I must admit that I quite like the tsuba, they look like clean examples of generic designs, better than most on Ebay.  I might have been tempted myself, but I have to clear the debt for my last purchases.

Regards, John 

So today I received shipment of this daisho tsuba set.:)  Very satisfied with the purchase and AOI Art did a very good job with fast shipping and excellent packaging.  The set came with a brand new looking wood box and they also shipped the original box.  The tsuba show more detail - feather lines, grain in the kama (kettle), grain & knots in wood pillars, etc. - that are much more prominent in person than in the pictures.  Thank you for all your help regarding the decision to purchase and for all the reference information you provided.

Just a few quick pics.  The pictures taken with the wood background are in direct sunlight and highlight more of the detail, but it seems to wash out the color and give tsuba a grey appearance.  The pic on the plain background is a much better representation of the actual color.  Sorry about order of photos.  Not sure how to control that yet.

727F064D-300F-4B00-8209-9354663C9C75.jpeg

0570BFD1-D46E-45B5-967A-560D0E2FF432.jpeg

DE890157-BA40-4247-AAC8-82B62CA1C441.jpeg

9C0890A2-E519-4540-AB51-C6B56A5CBC42.jpeg

851540E3-364B-4345-8915-77B575EE89BB.jpeg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..